Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1082 Discussions

Some help needed connecting NIOS-II with ISP1362 chip

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm pretty new to embedded programming. I want to use the DE2 board as mp3 player, using the USB as input for my mp3 files. 

So I need an USB host controller. Since the SLS hc controller requires a license, I need to build my own but I can't seem to make it work. 

This is what i've done so far: 

In Qsys: 

• Use the nios-system qsys file from the DE2 Media Computer (University Program) as a starting point 

• From the CD-rom => DE2_NIOS_HOST_MOUSE_VGA => ISP1362, used the class.ptf file to add a new component. 

• Connected clock, reset, avalon_slave and exported the conduit 

• Used the 'Assign Base Addresses', it assigned address 0x00800000 

In Quartus: 

• Again using the Media Computer, added the OTG pin assignments 

• Used the Media Computer sdc file for TimeQuest Timing Analyzer 

• Compiled without errors 

• Downloaded the .sof onto the board 

In Nios II (Eclipse) 

• Made a new project with the 'Hello uCos' template 

• The console prints the hellos from the 2 tasks, so that's working fine 

Then I used the following code to read the ChipID: 

# define USB_BASEADDR 0x00800000 volatile int * hc_data = (int *) USB_BASEADDR; volatile int * hc_com = (int *) USB_BASEADDR+1; ... unsigned int ChipID = 1; *(hc_com) = 0x27; // hc_com=0x00800004 ChipID = *(hc_data); // hc_data = 0x00800000 printf("hc_data is : %4X\n", hc_data); printf("hc_com is : %4X\n", hc_com); printf("ChipID is : %4X\n", ChipID);  

But this returns 0 

According to the datasheet it should return 3630h, what am I missing here? 

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey im hanging on the same problem. ChipID is 0 and also if i write and then read from the HcScratch register my value is not set. Did you found any solution on that?