Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1175 Discussions

University Program IP Future Versions

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all, current Quartus is version 17.1, but University Program IP is version 16.1. Is it true that University Program IP will not get updates in the future? Thank u

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To my knowledge, I do not think they will be supporting any further revisions to it. I've used it a lot in the past but have abandoned it altogether, because it takes me 

an hour just to connect to the gdb server, and then it sometimes disconnects and causes faults. Am considering getting the DS-5 license, as this is the only way to use 

the hard IP core and do bare metal debugging.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank u. I realized the problem of Intel Support on University Program. Two major changes are 1. No support for future UP IP + 2. Professors cannot submit SR anymore

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank u. I realized the problem of Intel Support on University Program. Two major changes are 1. No support for future UP IP + 2. Professors cannot submit SR anymore 

--- Quote End ---  

Noted the same issues. Both VERY annoying! 

As a professor for FGPA design I always filed only SR which pointed to real bugs and thus helped Altera in improving the toolset. Immediately after filing the last SR I was no longer allowed to file new ones. Intel is simply no longer interested in improving their toolset. 

Altera was always a very good partner for universities. Most of the material available through the university program (tutorials for example) was even better than what they provided for the industry. Intel has changed directions and it seems that they want universities to do the same, which means heading south in San Jose.
0 Kudos
RHobb
Beginner

You should consider getting the Intel SoC FPGA Edition software that includes the DS-5 Eclipose based program, as this is the direct way to debug and write baremetal programs. I've had so much trouble with the Monitor program, it's almost completely useless. Just trying to connect to create the session took me 20 minutes, and even then, any errors in the code caused it to crash.

0 Kudos