Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

d5m camera 12 bit information

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. 

I was wondering if anyone knows about the d5m camera from Terasic specifically regarding the 12 bit color information.  

As far as i know, RGB values only need 8 bit (255) information? Why is it that the camera has 12 bit information? 

Also, the Terasic LCD only takes in 8 bit information. What is the extra information for? 

Thanks so much!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi. 

It could be used to do a gamma adjust, read about it, and you'll find that those 12 bit are very usefull. 

Cheers 

Alberto.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply :) 

I'm trying to read about it, but the data sheets dont seem to mention anything about it. from what i know, the LTM (touch screen lcd) only uses 10 bits, with are from the 11th bit to 2nd bit. As for the other 2 bits, i am not sure. 

any ideas?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The two LS bits are discarded. Where's the problem?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

right now I'm trying to implement a color filter, but im trying to understand if all 4095 is color information. for instance, in verilog i write 

if (iRed >4000 && iBlue < 1000 && iGreen 1000)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The on-chip ADC of the D5M image sensor is 12 bits. There are a number of things you have to take into account to use this. The signal to noise ratio will depend on the light intensity, exposure time etc... 

You will normally not get a signal to noise ratio of 12 bits with this camera. But the dynamic range of 12 bits could be used to sense different levels of global light intensities. 

The Verilog comparison that you are making can be done, but the color detection will very much depend on the global luminance level of your signal. 

Making a comparison with 4000 means that your iRed RED signal needs to be saturated.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you shoul use interpolation ..

0 Kudos