Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1099 Discussions

how to interface SPI with altera using state machines!?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww143/littocookie/waveform.jpg  

hi! I'm new to using the quartus II software and altera so i'm learning as i go along, 

right now I want to interface the altera board with SPI (serial interface protocol) to connect to a DAC. i'm going to send a signal of square waves into the dac and output sine waves!  

I have to write the code using VHDL and encoding it as a a state machine to get the same waveform on the top ( i got it from the datasheet of the DAC) 

here is the datasheet  

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet2/c/0h9iz44c8qcc5rwpsx8ifsyw6rcy.pdf 

i need a constant voltage output 

as clock toggles, i want the state to change (every positive rising clock edge)  

but as I'm new to VHDL , i' dont know how to really start the "template" for a state machine in the language 

i have 16 states total, 

but the last 12 states, i want the altera to read the data  

how do i program it to read the data?  

i am writing it in terms of states/substates, using CASES.  

LIBRARY ieee; USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all; ENTITY SPI IS PORT( clock, reset : IN STD_LOGIC; SCLK, MOSI, SS :OUT STD_LOGIC); END SPI; ARCHITECTURE Behaviour OF SPI IS TYPE State_type IS (AB,BUF,GA,SHDN,s11,s10,s9,s8,s7,s6,s5,s4,s3,s2,s1,s0); SIGNAL y: State_type; BEGIN --SYNC_PROC: process (CLOCK, RESET) PROCESS(clock, reset) if reset='1' then state <=AB; elsif rising_edge(clock) then state <=y; END if; END process; PROCESS(y, clock, reset) BEGIN Case y is when AB=> ---continuing the state changes here....i am confused what to do thank you!!!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It can basically work with a state machine. In my opinion, using a shift register and a bit counter is a more simple solution. See attached an example sending 24 bit data with SPI mode 1. Consider that your chip needs 16 bits and SPI mode 0. The code is generating a SPICLK of half the system clock, which should be suitable for most newer chips.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

sr <= x"00" & STD_LOGIC_VECTOR What does this sentence mean?  

while  

data : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(15 downto 0); 

SIGNAL sr : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(23 downto 0);
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The sentence should be sr <= x"00" & STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(data);

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there missing a " ' " after the VECTOR?