Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1175 Discussions

using DE1 control panel to put colour images into SRAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have been trying to put images into SRAM using the DE1 control panel.. 

so far, i hv been able to show a grayscale picture in VGA to an external monitor... 

but when i tried it with a colour image, it will only show a blank white screen... 

any suggestions/advices for me?? thanks in advance..
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Angel. 

If you read carrefully the DE1 manual, you will see that you only can download grayscale images to the DE1 through the control panel. This is using your own image and convert it with the Image converter software provided. 

Also if you do a close look at the DE1_USB_API.v code, you'll be noticed of that in these lines: 

assign mVIN_R = mVGA_ADDR[0] ? mSRAM_VGA_DATA[15:8]<<2 : mSRAM_VGA_DATA[7:0]<<2 ;  

assign mVIN_G = mVGA_ADDR[0] ? mSRAM_VGA_DATA[15:8]<<2 : mSRAM_VGA_DATA[7:0]<<2 ;  

assign mVIN_B = mVGA_ADDR[0] ? mSRAM_VGA_DATA[15:8]<<2 : mSRAM_VGA_DATA[7:0]<<2 ;  

Same assigns for R,G,B.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi. How did you do the grayscale picture in the VGA? I'm trying to do it as well. Can you help me? 

--- Quote Start ---  

i have been trying to put images into SRAM using the DE1 control panel.. 

so far, i hv been able to show a grayscale picture in VGA to an external monitor... 

but when i tried it with a colour image, it will only show a blank white screen... 

any suggestions/advices for me?? thanks in advance.. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi. How did you do the grayscale picture in the VGA? I'm trying to do it as well. Can you help me? 

--- Quote End ---  

Read the below message please...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Specifically where will the image data be stored after we capture the image? In the DE1_D5M camera module, after capturing the image, it will be converted to RGB thru RAW2RGB module right? Then from there, will it be stored to SDRAM? I wanted to make the image be shown in grayscale. I have the code but I am not sure if I'm getting the right image data and if I'm outputting the right image data and address as well.

0 Kudos