Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

64 bit Xeffort

Ray_R_
Novice

Is there any interest in migrating the Xeffort library to 64 bits

Xeffort was a great interface to the windows API, unfortunately all the kind values for the constants, variables and pointers were hard coded for 32 bits.  It will take a considerable effort to rewrite it for 64 bits.  So what I am asking is there any interest in a group effort to do this?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I had started on this a few years ago, but indeed 32-bits are deeply embedded in the code, especially Windows API calls. I put it aside and haven't gone back to it. I did once receive an inquiry from someone who said they might take it on, but then I never heard from them again. 

0 Kudos
Ray_R_
Novice

Steve do you have any interest in working on the xeffort 64 bit port?  I am very willing to help.

0 Kudos
Neels
New Contributor II

I have the requirement for a 64bit version but lack the skills to it. If there is a standard way to do it that must be repeated numerous times I am willing to do the donkey work.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I looked at Xeffort some years back but in the end opted to ditch all the "third party" library stuff (quickwin/Iflogm) and do everything direct with the Windows SDK.

I went to have a look to see what the scale of this task might be (out of interest) but all the download links on the xeffert.com site are broken.

0 Kudos
Neels
New Contributor II
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Not really. I did start this a while ago but found it much more difficult than I anticipated. Given the handful (if that) of people who might want to use it, I put it aside. It would be one thing if it was just looking for API mismatches and fixing up arguments, but there are also many local variables holding things and it would be a bear to find all the uses and making sure everything worked properly.

If you want to give it a go, feel free.

0 Kudos
Ray_R_
Novice

Thanks for the reply.  I think I might take a wack at it.  If I get anywhere I will post it to the forum.  I agree it is not going to be easy.

0 Kudos
Neels
New Contributor II

Please do and keep us updated.

0 Kudos
Neels
New Contributor II

Hello Ray_R, have you decided to continue with this effort?

0 Kudos
cean
New Contributor II

I opened this sample project in 2023.2:

XeffortLite Sample Application with XeffortLite source (XeffortLite.zip)

After conversion, when compile, got an error message: 

can't find "afxres.h". 

It is needed by the XeffortLite.rc file.

I downloaded the Xeffort_IVF11_1225.exe and installed. Can't find afxres.h in it.

Anyone know where is it? Or I need to create the rc file with the new compiler?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos