Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

64 bit debugging not working

RobP
Beginner

I'm using Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 3 and debugging in Visual Studio 2013 Update 2's IDE with this simple program:

program Console1

implicit none

! Variables
    integer(4) testInt
    ! Body of Console1
    print *, 'Hello World'
    testInt = 7
    end program Console1

When the EXE for this program is compiled with the "IA 32" (the Win32 platform) ifort compiler, the debugging works as expected. The watch on `testInt` changes from a random value to 7.

But, when I use the "Intel (R) 64" (the x64 platform) compiler by setting the project to the x64 platform, the debugger will stop at correct break points. But the watch on `testInt` reports "Undefined address" instead of 7. 

What's going on here? How can I enable correct debugging for 64 bit Fortran compilations? This is interfering with COM Server development where the COM client and server must be 64-bit.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Geoff_Hall
Beginner

This is a re-post of a private message to Steve so that other forum users can see it...

Sad to say, that fix is not the complete story. Attached is an image that shows an element of a complex type cannot be seen as a sub-structure, but when you break it out on its own, you can see it.

As a secondary issue, the sub-structure "SQLInfo%SQLSchema%fields" is an array which cannot be viewed unless you explicitly identify an element.

I hope you have a fix for this too :)

Cheers, Geoff

0 Kudos
Sherry_Ummen
Beginner

Hi Steve,

Could you please provide me also with the Fix; I love using Visual Studio and I am not ablt to update Visual Studio because of this issue because in our work we do lot of fortran coding as well. :(

Thanks

0 Kudos
Radek_Z_
Beginner

Could someone send me the fix?

Me and all my colleagues are stuck on this issue. And funny thing is that there is some problem with messages on Intel side so I can't find out if Steve Lionel received my message.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, our messaging system is broken. I'm just going to attach the fix here. Unpack the attached ZIP into C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Packages\Debugger  This will be fixed in Update 4.

0 Kudos
Radek_Z_
Beginner

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Geoff_Hall
Beginner

Hi Steve,

I've just installed Update 4 and the fix is not in there.

So I copied the FEE.dll from the zip file above in this thread and 64-bit debugging is back to "normal".

Cheers, Geoff

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Hmm - I had been told it would be in update 4. But I now see that indeed it did not get put into that update - sorry. It is in the 2015/15.0 product.

0 Kudos
Brian_C_1
Beginner

All,

I was hoping the replacing of FEE.dll (my copy was dated 2014-04-12) would fix my 32 bit C++/Fortran debugging problem under VS2013.

I had already figured out that I would have to capitalize all variable names and use C++ notation on arrays (eg h2kflags(4) => H2KFLAGS[3]).

My Intel Fortran is Composer XE 2013 Update 4.

I miss hovering over a variable name to get the value or right clicking and Add Watch!

Any other solutions out there? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You aren't getting the Fortran debugging support enabled if you have to use C syntax. Is this an all-Fortran application or is there a managed code part?

0 Kudos
Sven_S_
Beginner

Hi,

I have the same problem debugging 64bit applications. All parameters say 'Undefined variable ...'.

Hovering over variables does not show their values, etc.

I'm using 

Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2013
Version 12.0.31101.00 Update 4
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.5.51078

Installed Version: Ultimate

Intel(R) Visual Fortran     Package ID: w_fcompxe_2013_sp1.4.237

Intel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 4 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2013, 14.0.0100.12, Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Intel Corporation
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Intel® C++ Composer XE 2013 SP1   Package ID: w_ccompxe_2013_sp1.4.237
Intel® C++ Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 4 Integration for Microsoft* Visual Studio* 2013, Version 14.0.1295.12, Copyright © 2002-2014 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others

Intel® Inspector XE 2013 Update 9   
Intel® Inspector XE 2013 Update 9, (build 328075), Copyright © 2009-2013 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel® VTune™ Amplifier XE 2013 Update 15   
Intel® VTune™ Amplifier XE 2013 Update 15, (build 328102), Copyright © 2009-2013 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

with the FEE.dll file attached to this thread.

Kind regards,

Sven

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Does the Locals window show variables and their types? Show a screenshot.

0 Kudos