Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

A question about $omp declare simd

eos_pengwern
Beginner

I'm updating some of my long-standing code to take advantage of the latest OpenMP 4.0 syntax, but I've come unstuck at the first attempt. 

I decided to take a very simple, short subroutine that calculates a vector product: one of the vectors, 'normal' is unique, represented by its scalar components 'normal_x', 'normal_y' and 'normal_z', whilst the other vector 'rzero' is typically one of a large number of vectors represented by arrays of 'rzero_x', 'rzero_y' and 'rzero_z' components. Multiplying the normal by 'rzero' gives 'es', and taking the amplitude of 'es' gives us the sine of the angle between 'rzero' and the normal, viz:

elemental subroutine Calculate_Sines(normal_x, normal_y, normal_z, &
                                         rzero_x, rzero_y, rzero_z,    &
                                         es_x, es_y, es_z, sin_theta)

!$omp declare simd(Calculate_Sines) uniform(normal_x, normal_y, normal_z)
        real(kind(1d0)), intent(in) :: normal_x, normal_y, normal_z
        real(kind(1d0)), intent(in) :: rzero_x, rzero_y, rzero_z 
        real(kind(1d0)), intent(out) :: es_x, es_y, es_z, sin_theta

es_x = normal_z * rzero_y - normal_y * rzero_z
        es_y = normal_x * rzero_z - normal_z * rzero_x
        es_z = normal_y * rzero_x - normal_x * rzero_y        

sin_theta = sqrt( es_x**2 + es_y**2 + es_z**2 ) 

end subroutine Calculate_Sines 

If I unit-test this by putting it into a program all on its own, then its works just as I'd expect: if I compile with /Qopt-report:2, then I am told:

15301: FUNCTION WAS VECTORIZED

...just as I'd hope. However, if I now take exactly the same code snippet and past it into the module where I actually want to use it (but as yet without having it actually invoked from anywhere else in the application), then compile with exactly the same relevant switches (/O2 /Qparallel /Qopenm /standard-semantics /Qopt-report:2) then I'm told:

warning #13397: vector function was not vectorized
    warning #13401: vector function was emulated

The compiler persistently refuses to give me any clues as to what may be preventing it from vectorising the function, even if I bump Qopt-report all the way up to 5.

So, what is going on here?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pbkenned1
Employee

What version of the compiler are  you using?  From the Intel Fortran Compiler version 15.0 and onwards, it is sufficient to incorporate a SIMD-enabled procedure within a module. Then any calling routine that USE's the module has access to the interface and can see that a SIMD-enabled version of the function is available.  If you are using 14.0, you'll need to upgrade for this to work.

>>>However, if I now take exactly the same code snippet and past it into the module where I actually want to use it (but as yet without having it actually invoked from anywhere else in the application), then compile with exactly the same relevant switches (/O2 /Qparallel /Qopenm

I'd did just that with 15.0.3.  I'll assume /Qopenm is just a typo.

C:\ISN_Forums\U558125>ifort -c -Qopenmp U558125-module.f90 -Qopt-report=5 -Qopt-report-file=stdout -Qopt-report-phase=openmp,vec
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 15.0.3.208 Build 20150407
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Begin optimization report for: SINES::CALCULATE_SINES.._simdsimd3__xmm2nuuuvvvvvvv.J

Report from: Vector optimizations [vec]

remark #15301: FUNCTION WAS VECTORIZED   [ C:\ISN_Forums\U558125\U558125-module.
f90(5,22) ]
===========================================================================

Begin optimization report for: SINES::CALCULATE_SINES.._simdsimd3__xmm2muuuvvvvvvv.J

Report from: Vector optimizations [vec]

remark #15301: FUNCTION WAS VECTORIZED   [ C:\ISN_Forums\U558125\U558125-module.
f90(5,22) ]

C:\ISN_Forums\U558125>ifort  -Qopenmp U558125-mod-use.f90  U558125-module.obj
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 15.0.3.208 Build 20150407
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 12.00.21005.1
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

-out:U558125-mod-use.exe
-subsystem:console
-defaultlib:libiomp5md.lib
-nodefaultlib:vcomp.lib
-nodefaultlib:vcompd.lib
U558125-mod-use.obj
U558125-module.obj

C:\ISN_Forums\U558125>U558125-mod-use.exe
 sin_theta=  0.000000000000000E+000

C:\ISN_Forums\U558125>

If the compiler version is not the issue, perhaps it's due to something in your module source inhibiting vectorization.

Patrick

0 Kudos
eos_pengwern
Beginner

Thank you. I hadn't realised that there was so much additional information in the .optrept file. The contents of that file sheds a little more light on things. In my module, the subroutine (including comments) occupies lines 1769 - 1786. Here is the relevant part of the .optrept file:

Begin optimization report for: WORKSPACES::CALCULATE_SINES.._simdsimd3__xmm4nuuuvvvvvvv.J

Report from: Interprocedural optimizations [ipo]

C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1769,26):INLINE REPORT START:(WORKSPACES::CALCULATE_SINES.._simdsimd3__xmm4nuuuvvvvvvv.J) [20/31=64.5%]
C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1769,26):(1)-> EXTERN: ___for_ieee_store_env_
C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1786,5):(1)-> EXTERN: ___for_ieee_restore_env_
INLINE REPORT END

Report from: Loop nest, Vector & Auto-parallelization optimizations [loop, vec, par]

C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1769,26):remark #15301: FUNCTION WAS VECTORIZED
<compiler generated>:remark #15399: vectorization support: unroll factor set to 2

Begin optimization report for: WORKSPACES::CALCULATE_SINES.._simdsimd3__xmm4nuuuvvvvvvv

C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1769,26):INLINE REPORT START:(WORKSPACES::CALCULATE_SINES.._simdsimd3__xmm4nuuuvvvvvvv) [20/31=64.5%]
C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1769,26):(1)-> EXTERN: ___for_ieee_store_env_
C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1786,5):(1)-> EXTERN: ___for_ieee_restore_env_
INLINE REPORT END

Begin optimization report for: WORKSPACES::CALCULATE_SINES.._simdsimd3__xmm4muuuvvvvvvv.J

C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1769,26):INLINE REPORT START:(WORKSPACES::CALCULATE_SINES.._simdsimd3__xmm4muuuvvvvvvv.J) [20/31=64.5%]
INLINE REPORT END

Report from: Loop nest, Vector & Auto-parallelization optimizations [loop, vec, par]

C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1769,26):remark #15326: function was not vectorized: implied FP exception model prevents vectorization. Consider changing compiler flags and/or directives in the source to enable fast FP model and to mask FP exceptions
C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1769,26):remark #13397: vector function was not vectorized

Begin optimization report for: WORKSPACES::CALCULATE_SINES.._simdsimd3__xmm4muuuvvvvvvv

C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1769,26):INLINE REPORT START:(WORKSPACES::CALCULATE_SINES.._simdsimd3__xmm4muuuvvvvvvv) [20/31=64.5%]
INLINE REPORT END

Begin optimization report for: WORKSPACES::CALCULATE_SINES

C:\Users\..\FortranSource\Workspaces.F90(1769,26):INLINE REPORT START:(WORKSPACES::CALCULATE_SINES) [20/31=64.5%]
INLINE REPORT END

I assume that the function is being compiled in different ways to accommodate the various ways it may be called (scalar, do-loop, index-range etc.) and that it is succeeding to vectorise it in some cases but not in others. In the case that fails, it cites the floating-point exception model as a stumbling block. I was compiling with /fp:source and /fp:except, so I tried turning off exceptions (/fp:except-) and sure enough the vectorisation succeeded.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Refer to this new post for some important updated discussion on the treatment of the elemental subroutine in the original post for this thread by the 16.0 compiler.

0 Kudos