Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Abaqus and Intel Fortran Compiler compatibility

Noble__Jon
Beginner

Hi,

My company uses Abaqus 2019. As per the vendor's requirements, we need access to the following Fortran compiler:

Intel® Visual Fortran 16.0 Update 1

My question is simple: How do we get it and how much is it?

After a bit of poking about in the Intel website it looks as though we need Intel Parallel Studio XE. However, there are 3 versions of this, i.e. 

Cluster, Professional and Composer.

Which of these do I need?

I don't know how many seats we need - I think one might be enough.

Also, I expect that we will have to access an older version of the software (i.e. ver 16.0.1) than you are currently marketing, but I don't think that will be a problem.

It might be useful to have some sort of editor / development tool (IDE?). However, there are 2 potential problems. Cost and complexity.

So, can you tell me how much it costs for the IDE (or is it included?). Secondly, Abaqus only "wants" to use the compiler, will having the IDE "confuse" it?

Apologies for the somewhat vague terminology, but I am not that techy.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

There have been other requests of older versions of Intel Fortran for use with Abaqus -- see, for example, https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/809969 . I do not recall a single instance of these where a more recent compiler version (than the one requested) turned out to be unsuitable.

I sense that you want the compiler for the Windows platform, but you have posted in the Linux/Mac Fortran forum. For Linux/Mac platforms, the adjective "Visual" is not part of the Intel compiler product name.

If your platform is Windows: you do not need the IDE itself, but you will need the Microsoft components (C compiler tools such as the linker, RTL DLLs, etc.) that are required and are packaged together with the IDE.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

In general, we don't claim compatibility between MAJOR versions.  But since 16 I think you should be OK.  There was a change for how double complex were passed but I think that was like between 14 and 15 versions.

For older compilers:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/older-version-product

0 Kudos
Noble__Jon
Beginner

Thanks to mecej4 and Ronald W for their replies.

Actually, mecej4 I am more interested in the unix / linux env than Windows although sometimes it is easier to develop stuff on the PC and then deploy / use it anger on the linux boxes which do the "heavy lifting". A typical work PC will hang if you ask it do any serious analysis! It would be nice to have a whizzy debugger to help sort out any coding problems.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

we do ship a debugger but it's not graphical.  It is command line.  'gdb-ia'.  If you sourced your vars.sh file correctly it will be in your path.  gdb is familiar to many and is well documented.  'gdb-ia' is the gdb debugger with extensions added by Intel - one of which is to make it Fortran-aware.  So in that way it's more useful than off the shelf gdb.  

0 Kudos