Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26749 Discussions

Add a path by name to visual studio additional xxx directories

pascal_M_
Beginner

I have added `C:\path\to\files\thelibrary\include` to the `Configuration Properties --> Fortran --> General --> Additional Include Directories`, and used an `#include <someheaderfile.h>` inside my code, and everything was compiling as intended. Now I have created a sytem environment variable `TOTO` with value `C:\path\to\files\thelibrary` and replaced `C:\path\to\files\thelibrary\include` with `%TOTO%\include` inside `Configuration Properties --> Fortran --> General --> Additional Include Directories` and at compilation I had an `#error: can't find include file: someheaderfile.h`. I also tried with `%(TOTO)\include` and `%TOTO%\include` as well as `TOTO\include` and had the same error. I don't know though if this error is specific to the fact that I am inside a intel visual fortran project for visual studio or if I would have had the same issue with a vanilla c++ visual studio project.

Of course, I have the same issue with "additional libraries" etc.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

After you defined the system environment variable, did you exit/restart your Visual Studio window?  Not just reload the Fortran solution, actually exit out and restart Visual Studio.

And, no, this isn't just a Fortran-integration thing.   I've seen this sort of thing with pure C/C++ projects too.

--Lorri

pascal_M_
Beginner

Lorri Menard (Intel) wrote:

After you defined the system environment variable, did you exit/restart your Visual Studio window?  Not just reload the Fortran solution, actually exit out and restart Visual Studio.

And, no, this isn't just a Fortran-integration thing.   I've seen this sort of thing with pure C/C++ projects too.

--Lorri

I even rebooted the d*** computer. :) One precision though : the problem does happen with the (system) environment variable I have created, but doesn't with using the environment variable IFORT_COMPILER19 in `%IFORT_COMPILER19%mkl\lib\intel64_win` for instance.

pascal_M_
Beginner

Other precision : I confirm that this doesn't happen with a vanilla (c++ console for instance) visual studio 2017 project, nor with intel visual fortran console project. (My project type, with which I have a problem, is "intel visual fortran dll project".)

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

The syntax you want is $(TOTO)

pascal_M_
Beginner

As I wrote in my question, I "did" try $(TOTO) and it didn't work ... Anyway, now it worked. (Strange, maybe I mixed up things.)

Question, though : why does %TOTO% work for a fortran console project but not for a fortran dll project ?

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

I would not expect %TOTO% to work in either. Certainly the project type doesn't matter. The %TOTO% syntax works in a shell command,but not in the list of additional include directories.

What I have seen sometimes is that setting system environment variables don't "take" right away, sometimes needing a logout/login.

pascal_M_
Beginner

Steve Lionel (Ret.) (Blackbelt) wrote:

I would not expect %TOTO% to work in either. Certainly the project type doesn't matter. The %TOTO% syntax works in a shell command,but not in the list of additional include directories.

Well `%IFORT_COMPILER19%mkl\include` is understood without problem any though.

Steve Lionel (Ret.) (Blackbelt) wrote:

What I have seen sometimes is that setting system environment variables don't "take" right away, sometimes needing a logout/login.

Yes, same for me, I was never clear on that.