Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Algorithm problem - Fortran

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I have a Rainfall Runoff program that is based on the old Field Williams model, the original was developed in the 1970s. 

I think about this program a lot mainly because it is interesting Fortan code and both Field and Williams lectured me. 

My daughter - year 7 - US School in Texas had the following problem  - shown attached.  

She got the correct answer according to the grading, but I was interested and ran the problem in my mind through the FWM algorithm for runoff and detention.  After you have done hundreds of them by hand in teaching classes it is second nature.  

The picture does not show enough information to arrive at any of the conclusion, it would not be hard to run a sample into the FWM , but I think that is a waste. 

Or am I missing something in the algorithm. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

>>The picture does not show enough information to arrive at any of the conclusion, it would not be hard to run a sample into the FWM , but I think that is a waste. 

Right, like:

1) How much water was poured into/onto the sample box
2) Prior to adding the water, what was the saturation level of the soil
3) What was the dispersion (e.g. sprinkled evenly or dumped from a beaker)
4) what was rate at which the water was applied
5) what was the temperature
6) soil composition

This said, the test she took was more or less a test of abstraction of the "Rainfall Runoff" problem, and I think, sufficient for a problem statement with a list of questions. Congratulate your daughter for getting it right.

Jim Dempsey

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

>>The picture does not show enough information to arrive at any of the conclusion, it would not be hard to run a sample into the FWM , but I think that is a waste. 

Right, like:

1) How much water was poured into/onto the sample box
2) Prior to adding the water, what was the saturation level of the soil
3) What was the dispersion (e.g. sprinkled evenly or dumped from a beaker)
4) what was rate at which the water was applied
5) what was the temperature
6) soil composition

This said, the test she took was more or less a test of abstraction of the "Rainfall Runoff" problem, and I think, sufficient for a problem statement with a list of questions. Congratulate your daughter for getting it right.

Jim Dempsey

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Jim:

Thanks, as usual you point out the obvious.  I will let her know.  

JMN

0 Kudos