Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Annoying problem with VS Integration

irhan__baris1
Beginner

Dear All,

I am using Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 Composer and VS 2017 Community. Recently I am not able to edit my projects in VS. During launch of VS 2017 a dialog box is shown saying

"The Windows Forms Designer Package did not load correectly ..."

Then when I try to edit a project, right click Properties, I get another message saying

"Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component".

I am not sure if these messages are related to each other. I am simply not able to work. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you very much for your time in advance.

Best regards,

Baris.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I would uninstall both Intel Parallel Studio and Microsoft Visual Studio, delete the Program Files (x86)\Visual Studio 15.0 folder, reboot, then reinstall Visual Studio and then Intel Parallel Studio. The Windows Forms Designer Package is part of VS, not the Intel product, and these errors suggest a problem with the underlying VS install.

0 Kudos
irhan__baris1
Beginner

Dear Steve,

I followed the steps you proposed. Unfortunately the same problem still persists...

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Did you delete the Visual Studio directory before reinstalling? Have you updated VS to 15.0.11?

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Baris,

You may also want to check to see if your PATH environment variable is too large resulting in it getting truncated (and some paths missing or truncated).

See:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-edit-environment-variable-over-2047/ac713701-b1b4-4f6f-b2c7-5bb9282addb9
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/limitation-to-the-length-of-the-system-path-variable

It is not unusual for old versions of installed programs that have been uninstalled to have left their modifications to the PATH environment variable in place. You might want to check this using a CMD prompt window

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Try this program

program PATHcheck
    implicit none
    integer, parameter :: pathLengthLongerThanPossible = 1000000
    character(len=pathLengthLongerThanPossible) :: EnviornmentPATH
    logical :: found
    integer :: EnviornmentPATHlength, status, semicolon
    call GET_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE("PATH",EnviornmentPATH,EnviornmentPATHlength,status,.true.)
    if(status /= 0) stop "No PATH???"
    do while(EnviornmentPATHlength > 0)
        semicolon = index(EnviornmentPATH,";")
        if(semicolon == 0) semicolon = EnviornmentPATHlength + 1
        if(semicolon == 1 .or. EnviornmentPATH(1:1) == " ") then
            EnviornmentPATH = EnviornmentPATH(2:EnviornmentPATHlength) ! squish out leading ";" and " "
            EnviornmentPATHlength = EnviornmentPATHlength - 1
        else
            inquire(directory=EnviornmentPATH(1:semicolon-1), exist=found)
            if(.not. found) print *,EnviornmentPATH(1:semicolon-1)
        endif
        EnviornmentPATH = EnviornmentPATH(semicolon+1:EnviornmentPATHlength)
        EnviornmentPATHlength = len_trim(EnviornmentPATH(1:EnviornmentPATHlength-semicolon))
    end do
end program PATHcheck

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Note,

You may need to run this in a few different environments:

a) In the default environment (Normal CMD window), PATH run from within MS VS is different
b) In MS VS
c) From Windows Explorer (you will need to add a PAUSE statement at end of program)

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos