Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28595 Discussions

Any Issue upgrading leopard to snow leopard?

Giampiero_Sindoni
Hi all,
I already open a thread about problems that I am having compiling a "trivial " program
Now I realized that old scripts that I used to compile a program package don't work, I am sure that months ago they worked properly,
Last month I updated the machine from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I use also IDL on this machine and I had to reinstall it again after the upgrade. I think that something changed about the 64bit support.
Does anyone have the same problem?
Can be a solution reinstall the compiler?
Intel Fortran Intel 64 Compiler Professional for applications running on Intel 64, Version 11.1 Build 20091130 Package ID: m_cprof_p_11.1.080
Copyright (C) 1985-2009 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Darwin controller.lares 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I would suggest a more recent version of the compiler. You don't say WHICH update of Snow Leopard you are using, but Apple introduced incompatibilities in some of its updates. The compiler you are using is almost two years old.
0 Kudos
Ron_Green
I just pulled the Release Notes for that 11.1.080 compiler.

What really matters is what version of Xcode you are using. There were some incompatibilities with the linker ld that shipped with Xcode 3.2.2, 3.2.3, and 3.2.4 that would explain the behavior you see in your other issue. Hopefully you have 3.2.5. What version do you have?

Read this: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=73942&o=a&s=lr

note that the fix was in 11.1 Update 7. You have Update 4.

And of course, it will not work with Xcode 4.x

ron
0 Kudos
Giampiero_Sindoni
Thank you so much
I have 10.6.8 version of snow leopard and the Xcode version 3.2.6 andVersion 11.1 Build 20100401,
I am reading the post you suggested, I have downloaded the Version 12.1.0.038 Build 20110811 ( DEMO ) but it didn't resolve the problem but I read in the release notes this:

3.5.2 Errors on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard When COMMON Block Shares Name With Library Routine

On Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Fortran programs that declare COMMON blocks may have unexpected behavior, including bus error, if the COMMON block shares a name with a routine in a static library that is linked against. For example, a COMMON block named SEED will cause problems because the Intel Fortran run-time library contains a portability routine named SEED.

Apple has confirmed that this is caused by a defect in the linker supplied with Mac OS 10.6. To follow the issue and its eventual resolution, please refer to Apple RADAR issue 7890410 at http://developer.apple.com/ As a workaround, rename the COMMON block so as not to duplicate a name in a static library.

I guess that the problem I am having can be related to this, the strange is that I didn't find that issue in the apple developer forum.
I have the version of the files compiled ( just the executable ) time ago, they can be used to understand the problem?
Thanks again
Ciao, Giampiero
0 Kudos