Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28434 Discussions

Are these nested derived types legal?

TD5
Beginner

Hello, i am trying to put a derived type within another derived type and pass down the length of some arrays inside the types. My code looks like this

program Console2
    USE module_sub
    implicit none
    TYPE(fortran_forum(1000)) :: forum

forum%users%age=30
    WRITE(*,*) 'The Fortran Forum contains',forum%n_users, '. They are', forum%users%age, 'years old'

forum%age=30
    WRITE(*,*) 'The Fortran Forum contains',forum%n_users, '. They are', forum%age, 'years old'

end program Console2
    MODULE module_sub
    TYPE user(n_users)
        INTEGER, LEN                :: n_users=1
        INTEGER, DIMENSION(n_users) :: age
    end type user

TYPE fortran_forum(n_users)
        INTEGER, LEN          :: n_users=1          
        TYPE(user(n_users))   :: users
    end type fortran_forum

end module module_sub

The first variant with the nested Types doesn't even compile (Compilation Aborted - code 1) while the second varaint works fine. The problem seems to be that i am passing down the size of the arrays that i want in the nested derived type (n_users), is that illegal? Is there another way to achieve this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I believe this code is valid - NAG Fortran compiles and executes it OK. I haven't found any words in the standard to suggest otherwise.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

@TD5 ,

As fed back to you upthread by @Steve_Lionel , your code conforms to the standard as far as I can tell.

Readers can help you better if you illustrate with relevant details as to the compiler error (and the compiler version) with your first variant.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I had not tried it with ifort - when I do, with the 2021.6.0 compiler, it works fine. My guess is that you are using an old compiler.

0 Kudos
TD5
Beginner

That may be the reason, i tried it with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.1.3.311 [Intel(R) 64] and Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.1.0.166 [Intel(R) 64].

Both compilers dont give me much to work with, the error reads

1>------ Erstellen gestartet: Projekt: Console2, Konfiguration: Debug x64 ------
1>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.1.3.311 [Intel(R) 64]...
1>Console2.f90
1>C:\Users\...\Desktop\Console2\Console2\Console2.f90: catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.  Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
1>Internal error store_pdtlen_data_space: Cannot find record
1>compilation aborted for C:\Users\...\Desktop\Console2\Console2\Console2.f90 (code 1)
1>
1>Build log written to  "file://C:\Users\...\Desktop\Console2\Console2\x64\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Console2 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Erstellen: 0 erfolgreich, 1 fehlerhaft, 0 aktuell, 0 übersprungen ==========

and the build log:

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.1.3.311 [Intel(R) 64]...
ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:"x64\Debug\\" /object:"x64\Debug\\" /Fd"x64\Debug\vc160.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /check:stack /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.25.28610\bin\HostX64\x64" /Qm64 "C:\Users\...\Desktop\Console2\Console2\Console2.f90"
C:\Users\...\Desktop\Console2\Console2\Console2.f90: catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.  Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
Internal error store_pdtlen_data_space: Cannot find record
compilation aborted for C:\Users\...\Desktop\Console2\Console2\Console2.f90 (code 1)

Console2 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

The code line that is responsible is definitely

inside the user type. As soon as i comment that line out, it works fine.

0 Kudos