Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26731 Discussions

Automatic linking of a dependent C++-DLL project in Visual Studio 2015

Tim_R_
Beginner

Hello,

I have a Fortran console application project in Visual Studio 2015 and want to include other projects, namely C/C++ and other Fortran-projects.

In Fortran, I can either create a static or dynamic library, write a subroutine there, and call this subroutine from my console application. All i have to do is set the library as a dependency of my main console application, and, in case of the dll, declare "!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLLEXPORT :: MYFUNCTION" and make sure that the dll will be in the same directory as my .exe when starting the program.

If I create a static library in C++, I can also set this library as a dependency of my console application, and then call a function from this library declared as e.g. (my fortran calling convention is set to "CVF"):

extern "C" __declspec(dllexportvoid __stdcall MYFUNCTION();

This also works like a charm! Now, however, if I make a dynamic library in C++, setting it as a dependency of my console application is not enough for it to get linked - it will throw me "unresolved external symbol"-errors. What I have to do is specify the name of the generated *.lib-file under the Fortran project settings -> Linker -> Input -> Additional dependencies, and add the folder of this .lib-File under "Additional Library Directories" under the Linker -> General tab. If I do this, everything is working fine.

Now, my question is: Is there a possibility to avoid these last steps (explicitly adding the C++-dll to the additional dependencies), so that the linking will work just as easily as with a static C++-library or the fortran-libraries?

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Unfortunately, no. This problem is caused by Microsoft Visual C++ not supplying its DLL library as an "output" of the DLL project in a way that Fortran can find it. This started in VS2013, I think. Note also that a C++ project won't see any Fortran library dependencies.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Unfortunately, no. This problem is caused by Microsoft Visual C++ not supplying its DLL library as an "output" of the DLL project in a way that Fortran can find it. This started in VS2013, I think. Note also that a C++ project won't see any Fortran library dependencies.

View solution in original post

Tim_R_
Beginner

Okay, I will then deal with the few C++-DLL-Projects manually. Thank you for your quick answer!