Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26758 Discussions

Bogus run-time error with "-check all": A pointer with the CONTIGUOUS attributes is being made to a non-contiguous target

Janus
New Contributor I

Dear Intel team,

I have recently tried the beta release of ifort 18 for Linux, and found one problem (which seems to be a regression wrt ifort 17). Please consider this short test case:

program fpm

implicit none

type t
      integer, dimension(:), contiguous , pointer :: list
   end type

integer, dimension(:), contiguous, pointer :: l
   type(t), pointer :: n

open(unit=99, file='xxx.dat')
   close (unit=99)

allocate(n)

n%list => null()

l => n%list
end

Compiling this with "ifort -check all" (using version 18 beta) works fine, but when executing the generated binary, I see the following error:

forrtl: severe (408): fort: (32): A pointer with the CONTIGUOUS attributes is being made to a non-contiguous target.

This is obviously not very helpful. It should be legal to assign a contiguous pointer to NULL. There is no error with ifort 17. Interestingly the error goes away when removing the file operations (open/close), which are completely unrelated to the pointer assignments. I hope this can be fixed for the final release of ifort 18 (I opened support request #03029761 for it).

Best regards,

Janus Weil

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Devorah_H_Intel

This issue was reported via Online Service Center and escalated to the engineering team.