Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Bug in IVF 16 r3

Brooks_Van_Horn
New Contributor I

If this is not a bug then it is a poor design flaw. I have 3 subroutines associated with a menu item that are maintained in a single file. When I compile this file, the listing that I want produced has some problems. It is just fine for the first 2 subroutines but the Symbol Cross Reference for the 3rd subroutine has all the cross references for all 3 subroutines. This is just wrong. I cannot look at the cross reference and easily tell if it is from the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd subroutine. I use the listing file to self document my code and this just makes it incorrect. I will have to go through my code and separate all subroutines into their own file. I can no longer use 'contains' clauses. Can someone at Intel get this into the hands of the 2017 developers so thwy can fix this.
I'm using Intel Parallel Studio for Fortran  Composer Edition XE 2016 R3.

Brooks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No, it is the include files. The cross-reference's line numbers count as if the include files weren't there, but the listing line numbers include them.

A workaround is to define a module that has the includes and then USE the module in place of the includes. We'll get this fixed. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks - there seems to be a more general issue with the cross-reference and the line numbers it reports. I will send this on to the developers - it almost certainly won't get fixed for the initial 17.0 release but I hope it will be fixed in an update. Issue number DPD200411794.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I have seen in the past that the program listing (and the output of similar utilities) may show incorrect line numbers if the input source file does not have consistent line separators. For example, in a file with LF as EOL, if one of the LFs is replaced by CR, the line of text after the CR is printed in the listing file without a line number. 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I can reproduce the problem with one of our sample sources. At first I thought the include files might be miscounted but it doesn't seem to be that.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No, it is the include files. The cross-reference's line numbers count as if the include files weren't there, but the listing line numbers include them.

A workaround is to define a module that has the includes and then USE the module in place of the includes. We'll get this fixed. 

0 Kudos
Brooks_Van_Horn
New Contributor I

Steve,

Thank you very much!!!!

Brooks

PS,

Can anything be done about the Verification box just above the 'Submit' button. I know what it's for but you'll require us to lo Sign In before we can post, so if you are having robot trouble then remove the account causing it. I have limited visability and am also color-blind. Those kind of anti-robot techniques cause me a lot of trouble.

Thanks,

B

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Sorry about the Verification CAPTCHA - the forum devs put that in to help deal with a flood of Chinese-language spams in some forums that use many different accounts. They hope to disable it soon.

0 Kudos
Brooks_Van_Horn
New Contributor I

Thanks

B

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The listing cross reference problem should be fixed in the final 17.0 compiler release.

0 Kudos
Brooks_Van_Horn
New Contributor I

Thanks Steve for getting the apar into development. I await the final release of 17.0.

Brooks

0 Kudos