Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28385 Discussions

Cannot debug Fortran DLL from VS2017 using Excel

cmc
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am suddenly not able to debug my dll from Visual Studio anymore. It says that the clr.pdb is not loaded (see attached picture). I run my DLL through Excel and have specified the path to the Excel executable and Excel file in the debugging configuration properties (see attached picture).

I have not done any changes myself, and this has worked flawlessly in the past couple of years. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Carl

0 Kudos
1 Solution
cmc
New Contributor I

Update:

I managed to enter the debugging by pressing "Continue" (F5) multiple times until the warnings disappeared. I'll guess it is possible to avoid these warnings by modifying the "Exception Settings" in VS, but I'm happy for now.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I do not think that this is something to worry about. You are probably more interested in debugging/running your DLL, rather than Microsoft's CLR.DLL. I have never needed to obtain PDB files for any of the Windows, VC and C# related DLLs when debugging programs/DLLs built from Fortran and C codes. 

Have you tried setting a breakpoint in your DLL, and then doing what you have to do to make Excel call that DLL?

0 Kudos
cmc
New Contributor I

Okay, sounds fair.

The thing is that VS fails to load Excel when this message pops up, and then I'm not able to execute the dll and enter the code. So how can I suppress this?

What I don't understand is why this suddenly happens. It worked fine just before Christmas.

\Carl

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

A couple of things to try...

1. Open the appropriate command window for Parallel Studio from the Windows Start Menu. Make sure that you can run Excel from that command window. If not, you have to add the paths to the Excel EXE and Excel-related DLLs, and try again. After this is working, use the command DEVENV to bring up Visual Studio, and proceed to debugging your DLL.

2. Consider writing a short driver program to exercise your DLL. From the driver, call the DLL routine(s) with the same arguments as you expect the DLL to receive from Excel. Debug the driver and the DLL without bringing Excel into the picture at all. After this works, proceed to call the DLL from Excel.

[I have to confess that I detest Excel (and all spreadsheets) and avoid it as much as I can.]

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Carl:

At least you found the right board, with people who can actually solve rather interesting problems.  

[I have to confess that I detest Excel (and all spreadsheets) and avoid it as much as I can.]

I also confess that I do not like EXCEL -- Improv or quantrix is always better, but Fortran is perfect.  

EXCEL is useful for developing methods on small datasets before you launch into Fortran. 

Good luck - I have no idea what you are doing but these people know way more than I do

JMN

0 Kudos
cmc
New Contributor I

Update:

I managed to enter the debugging by pressing "Continue" (F5) multiple times until the warnings disappeared. I'll guess it is possible to avoid these warnings by modifying the "Exception Settings" in VS, but I'm happy for now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos