Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Cannot download VS 2015 community

WSinc
New Contributor I

I went back to your download page, and as you can see, there are 30 choices.

But when I click on the one I want (VS 2015 community, update 3) nothing happens,

and there is no button to actually start the download, at least nothing I can see on this page.

So where is the button that actually starts the download?

Is there something to the RIGHT of the language button ?

Incidentally, there are two choices for these: x86 and X64.

How would we know which one to pick ?

I might have had problems by guessing wrong when I did this before.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

If you have obtained Microsoft Visual Studio (Community Edition or higher) separately, and installed it with C++ support, the Intel product will integrate with it. With the Intel 2019 product, Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 is supported. (I am not sure about 2013).

If you don't have a separate VS installed, the Intel product will install a complete Fortran-only development environment based on VS2015 and you don't need anything extra.

As I wrote earlier, you keep changing the topic and changing the wording of problems so it's unclear what is going on. You also continue to refuse to answer questions asked of you, instead you start a new topic with some screenshots and wild accusations.

Do you want help or not? You need to meet us halfway. Rather than repeating that you "looked at the article", do what we ask and give us the information we request. If you don't want our help, maybe find someone local who is able to follow instructions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
WSinc
New Contributor I

BTW, if there is something to the right of the language button, I cannot scroll the page any further to the left.

This might be a problem with the WEB site. That would keep me from downloading anything.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

billsincl wrote:
Incidentally, there are two choices for these: x86 and X64. How would we know which one to pick ?

As far as I know, you are running the 64-bit edition of Windows 10. If that is correct, choose X64.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The way that you have sized (too tall and too narrow) and positioned your browser window is the problem. The horizontal scrollbar of the browser is overlaid on the Windows taskbar at the bottom. Resize the window to make it wider and less tall until you can view the horizontal scrollbar at the bottom. Drag the whole browser window up, if necessary, until you can see the horizontal scrollbar. Then, move the scrollbar to the right until you can see the "Download" buttons. If necessary, use the zoom-out (usually, Ctrl and -) feature of the browser until you can see the whole contents of the Visual Studio download page.

I have attached two screenshots to help you. The one called "Left" has the scrollbar at the left, and the download buttons are not visible. The other, called "Right", shows the result of moving the horizontal scrollbar.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Its only allowing me to download the X86 one, so I guess that is what is compatible with my system.

Incidentally, the scrolling problem seems to have to do with the browser.

I could not get a horizontal scroll bar. BUT THE RIGHT ARROW DOES DO SOMETHING at least.

It looks like its installing the Visual studio community again.

Lets hope it works this time.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

All the items visible in your screenshot (ss93.png) display x64 as the default option. The only item under the VS2015 category that has only an x86 version available is the original release. You have no reason to choose an earlier release than VS2015 Update 3, which does have x64 available. I don't think that the VS web site attempts to divine the version of the user's OS at all, so your conclusion "compatible with my system" is not justified. Just to check this, I logged into that Microsoft site using a Chromebook with an ARM CPU, and saw the same x64 and x86 downloads.

I suggest that you do not install the "X86 only" version that you are downloading. Instead, go back and select VS2015 Update 3, X64.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, IF it allows me to do that.

But I think I am restricted by the architecture of the computer CPU,

or perhaps the operating system, (windows 10)

Thats why all of my computers and libraries are under the x86 folder.

I have a DELL computer with a 64 bit CPU, but I think my windows 10 is the 32 bit version.

Doesn't it look at that, and try to make it compatible ?

Incidentally, I am getting this  (see screen shot),every time I terminate a program

and this may have an IMPORTANT bearing on the other problem I was having.

I am referring to the CANT FIND PDB remarks every I close a running program.

I get this even with earlier versions of VS (2010 or 2013), that I have to use now to run a program.

but with these earlier versions of VS, at least I can run and debug a Fortran program,

whereas with VS 2015 or later, I am "dead in the water."

If I can figure out why I get THESE messages, it might solve the problem I have with later versions of VS.

What is strange is - I can still debug a program, despite these remarks. However, at some point I wish to modernize my VS.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

If you can tell me (some of) the actual  names of these PDB files it cant find,

I can look and see if and where they DID get installed,

Its possible that somehow they got put into the WRONG folder,

so I have to figure out what installed them in the first place.

and maybe figure out HOW to put them into the CORRECT location.

I think we are looking at a configuration error, perhaps a BUG in the way they get installed.

I did follow your step by step instructions,

but apparently that is not good enough.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It isn't looking for PDB files, it's looking for a DLL (mspdb140.dll for VS2017, for example, that should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\ and also C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\)

If you have correctly installed VS, the DLL will be there. Don't try to move things around.

Bill, in VS go to Tools > Options > Intel Compilers and Tools > Visual Fortran > Compilers. Click on the ... to the right of "Executables". Copy the content of the window displayed and paste it into a reply here.

As for which version of VS to install, if you have a "Program Files (x86)" folder, you have a 64-bit Windows install. You can verify this by right clicking on My PC and selecting Properties - look at "System type".

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Bill, the presence of "SysWow64" in the numerous paths in ss87.png is one more proof of your PC running 64-bit Windows.

As for the missing PDB files for system DLLs such as Kernel32, User32, MSVCRT, etc., don't worry about them. They are needed only if you wish to debug Windows itself, or the Microsoft SDK libraries. Avoid those PDB's even if you stumble on to them.

As I wrote in #6, the VS download site does not care what your OS is. It will let you download whichever installers you choose. A Chromebook does not run Windows; my Chromebook has a 32-bit ARM CPU, but the site lets me download the X64 version of VS2015, etc. If you cannot choose X64, such as for example with the VS2015 initial release, that is because MS at one time gave away only the 32-bit VS free, and wanted you to pay for 64-bit versions. They changed their mind later. As of now, you should definitely opt for the 64-bit version. Choose VS Community 2015 Update 3 X64.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, I still keep getting that

"cannot find PDB file" message.

You say its unimportant -

but thats the reason I cannot run the VS 2015.

So I cannot ignore it -  right ?

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Without doing a remote assist, you cannot look at the the user's environment,

so I get these remarks; 

"WELL IT RUNS FINE ON MY SYSTEM"

so why did it get installed wrong to start with ?

We followed your instructions.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The Good Doctor has an article regarding those "missing PDB file" messages, in which he gives you the same advice as I did; see https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/visual-studio-debugger-cannot-find-or-open-the-pdb-file .

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Bill, you have spread issues across so many threads it's hard to keep track. The "Cannot find PDB file" is a harmless informational message that can appear when you start to debug. You haven't mentioned this before - instead you showed an error that the MSPDBxxx.DLL file could not be found, which is entirely different.

Intel doesn't owe you a remote assist. When I was doing support I sometimes offered to do that, but that was beyond what Intel asked. I'm willing to do this for you - my rate is $50 per half-hour (refunded if I can't get it to work.) Let me know if you're interested.

Did you successfully install either the 2015 or 2017 version of VS Community? And do you need that at all? If you are doing only Fortran programming, you can use the bundled VS environment included with Intel Parallel Studio XE.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, I read his article (again), but although it is interesting,

it does not tell me how to CURE THIS PROBLEM.

This PDB messages generates a linker error, that prevents me from running anything (?).

It also says "cannot find link," which I think may be the actual reason why I cant get a usable EXE.

That seems to be a more critical error than the PDB one.

Maybe I will take Steve up on his offer.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

apparently, I have to integrate the Paralell Studio with some version of Visual studio, 

in order to use it.

It Is not a stand alone app, is it ?

so then its a question of - what do I integrate it with ?

I had Parallel studio 2019 for a 30 day trial, and it ( as far as I could tell,) was not a stand-alone package.

I looked at the article "getting started with Intel Parallel Studio" ,

and It says that I have to use it with "a third party IDE."

Meaning Visual studio, I assume.

correct me if I am wrong, please.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

If you have obtained Microsoft Visual Studio (Community Edition or higher) separately, and installed it with C++ support, the Intel product will integrate with it. With the Intel 2019 product, Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 is supported. (I am not sure about 2013).

If you don't have a separate VS installed, the Intel product will install a complete Fortran-only development environment based on VS2015 and you don't need anything extra.

As I wrote earlier, you keep changing the topic and changing the wording of problems so it's unclear what is going on. You also continue to refuse to answer questions asked of you, instead you start a new topic with some screenshots and wild accusations.

Do you want help or not? You need to meet us halfway. Rather than repeating that you "looked at the article", do what we ask and give us the information we request. If you don't want our help, maybe find someone local who is able to follow instructions.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

billsincl wrote:
I had Parallel studio 2019 for a 30 day trial, and it ( as far as I could tell,) was not a stand-alone package.

A large part of your difficulties and misunderstandings may be related to this. Trial versions of Parallel Studio require that the prospective customer (you) should have already obtained and installed a compatible version of Visual Studio, e.g., Community edition, including the Windows SDK and the C++ components. The formerly available VS Express versions were not quite sufficient for this purpose.

Licensed versions of Parallel Studio include a subset of Visual Studio and the SDK that is sufficient for developing, running and debugging Fortran applications.

I was under the impression that you had a licensed version, at least of an older version of Parallel Studio. The advice given to you can be more apt if you clarify your licensing situation.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, I was told I have a current license. You told me that earlier.

As far as your suggestions go, I do follow them but -

YOUR SUGGESTIONS DO NOT WORK.

That's why I have to keep coming back to this matter time and time again.

So I have to rely upon older versions of VS so I can do source code development.

as far as licensing goes, I was told that I dont have to buy a new license until i am satisfied

with the results of a 30-day trial. Now apparently, the newest PARALLEL STUDIO (2019) does not properly

integrate with the VS 2015 I had installed - I can do C++ code with it, so I know the C++ component is installed there.

But you keep telling me it was NOT. Do you think I am lying to you ?

apparently, Steve tells me something OPPOSITE to what YOU tell me, namely, that I dont need a Visual studio if I have the Parallel studio.

But if I have just the Parallel Studio there is no EXE to click on. I have to have a VS to do any source code development.

Unless someone sees what I actually have installed, this is just a lot of random guessing regarding what would

ACTUALLY WORK.

Both you and Steve are supposed to be experts, so it would be nice if you agreed with each other, at least.

and this random guessing only increases the level of frustration.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Do you do development in C++? Then you need a separate Visual Studio. If you are doing Fortran-only, you don't.

You still haven't provided the info I asked for in post 9. Please also, in VS, do Help > About > Copy Info. Then paste the result into a reply here.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

billsincl wrote:

Both you and Steve are supposed to be experts, so it would be nice if you agreed with each other, at least.

William,

Please refrain from posting any new topics and responses in this or any other forum.

0 Kudos