Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26736 Discussions

Coarray derived type of allocatable vector of allocatable character components

A__King
New Contributor III

Consider the following code that attempts to create a coarray derived type containing an array of variable-length allocatable character types.

program testCoarrayJaggedArray

implicit none

integer :: i
type                                :: CharVec_type
    character(:), allocatable       :: record
end type

type                                :: List_type
    type(CharVec_type), allocatable :: Item(:)
end type

type(List_type)                     :: List
  • if (this_image()==1) then allocate( List%Item(num_images()) ) do i = 1, num_images() allocate( character(63) :: List%Item(i)%record ) write(List%Item(i)%record,*) i List%Item(i)%record = "King" // trim(adjustl(List%Item(i)%record)) end do sync images(*) else sync images(1) allocate( List%Item( size(List[1]%Item(:)) ) ) do i = 1, size(List%Item(:)) allocate( character( len(List[1]%Item(i)%record) ) :: List%Item(i)%record ) List%Item(i)%record = List[1]%Item(i)%record
  •         write(*,*) this_image(), List%Item(i)%record
        end do
    end if

end program testCoarrayJaggedArray

Intel's ifort 2018 in debug mode, shared-memory coarray, complains about several aspects of this code. Here is the first one:

ifort /debug /Qcoarray=shared /standard-semantics /traceback /gen-interfaces /check /fpe:0 main.f90 -o run.exe
    Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 18.0.2.185 Build 20180210
    Copyright (C) 1985-2018 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

main.f90(30): error #6457: This derived type name has not been declared.   [CHARACTER]
            allocate( character( len(List[1]%Item(i)%record) ) :: List%Item(i)%record )
    ------------------^
    main.f90(30): error #8235: If type specification appears, the type and kind type parameters of each object being allocated must be the same as type and kind type parameters of the type specification.   [RECORD]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------^
    compilation aborted for main.f90 (code 1)

Is this code non-standard Fortran? In particular the line that allocates a character type using the length of the corresponding character on the first image:

0 Kudos
    1 Solution
    IanH
    Black Belt

The syntax appears to be confusing the compiler. I suggest you lodge a ticket.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
    IanH
    Black Belt

The syntax appears to be confusing the compiler. I suggest you lodge a ticket.

View solution in original post