Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Coarrays on Windows

Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Inspired by a posting on comp.lang.fortran I looked up whether the Intel Fortran compiler could "do" coarrays on Windows. It turns out it can indeed, at least as far as building a simple program is concerned. But I ran into a problem when I tried to run it:

> .....\mpiexec hello.exe
User credentials needed to launch processes:
account (domain\user) [.....]:
password:
Error connecting to the Service
[mpiexec@....] ..\hydra\utils\sock\sock.c (270): unable to connect from "mymachine" to "mymachine" (No error) read from stdin failed, error 6.
[mpiexec@....] ..\hydra\tools\demux\demux_select.c (78): select error (No such  file or directory)
[mpiexec@....] ..\hydra\pm\pmiserv\pmiserv_pmci.c (480): error waiting for event
[mpiexec@....] ..\hydra\ui\mpich\mpiexec.c (945): process manager error waiting for completion

Note: I had to invoke mpiexec explicitly because another program called mpiexec got in the way (via the PATH variable).

What can I do to solve this error?

Regards,

Arjen

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

Yes, we do do coarrays on Windows.

By default, the MPI locations are put at the end of PATH (and LIB and INCLUDE).

If you modify your PATH to have that directory up front, then you shouldn't need to do anything else special.

I don't know which version of Intel Fortran you're running, but the directory will look something like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\redist\intel64\mpirt

I hope this helps --

--Lorri

0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi Arjen

I am also experiencing the same issue --- when running a program with mpiexec. (I have been testing co-arrays for some time and they work but I am not sure about the performance. That's a side topic. Nevertheless,) I suspect that a recent upgrade of Intel Fortran has royally messed up your path. In my case, I ran into this issue when I upgraded the update2 of Intel Fortran 15 last month. I tried to install the corresponding C++ and it got hung.

For running mpi, I can do so by launching a IntelFortran2011 command prompt. If you have such older version you may want to try that.

Abhi

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Thanks, Lorri and Abhi,

I was able to work around the problem by renaming the culprit directory containing the alternative mpiexec program. Then it worked with both a Intel Fortran 2011 and a 2015 command window.

The PATH variable is rather long and filled with duplicates and different versions, as a consequence of installing various pieces of software over time. I ought to go and clean it up, but it is tedious business ;). I will try it again by prepending the directory as Lorri suggested - indeed that works too. Well, that solves the issue! Thanks again.

Regards,

Arjen

0 Kudos