Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Compatibility problem

maria
Beginner

Hi ,

I bought Intel Visual Fortran Compiler, Professional Edition for Windows, Version 10.1 about 4  years ago. It was installed on Lenovo W520 workstation with  Windows 7.  I had no problem using this.

However, I just bought a similar workstation Lenovo W540, also with Windows 7. I want to transfer this version of software to the newer PC.But the Install Sheild Wizard says ' This program has know compatibility issues". "Visual Studio 2005 has a known compatibility  issue with this version of Windows. " Does this mean that this version of Fortran compiler can not be installed on my new workstation? Do  I have to get an updated version?  I had Windows 7 before. Why this one does not work?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

As I recall it will work OK if you always start Visual studio 2005 as administrator.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Besides the administrator issue, there is a special service patch for VS2005 to work on Vista and Win7, along with the service patches which apply on all Windows versions.  There were also issues with early ifort installer on win7 so you would want the last update of ifort 10.1.

0 Kudos
maria
Beginner

I can see from my  previous  PC with window 7, the property is 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008'. While at the current PC ( also with Window 7), which does not work,  the property is 'Microsoft Visual studio 2005' .   I used the same CD , 'Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional Edition for Windows Version 10.1' on both PC. The Fortran was installed on my previous PC 4 years ago, and installed on the new PC two days ago.

Then I tried to open a solution from  the new PC, I got the error message saying "The selected file is a solution file, but was created by a newer version of this application and can not be opened."  The solution was created on the previous PC a few months ago. So why I have 2005 visual studio instead of 2008 visual studio when I install this time?  I have already download Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 into the PC and reinstalled Fortran again.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

The Fortran install only Includes Visual Studio "Shell" which is not the full VS. If the install detects a valid VS install is present it will ask if you want to install the Fortran into that VS.. Maybe you had VS2008 already had installed on the old PC? 

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If you have eligible vs2005 and 2008 both present, ifort install will integrate with both, and you must take care to use the one you want. You could remove ifort installation and repeat with 2005 deselected.  if you don't allow use of a full vs at installation, it will use the vs2008 shell.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The message you are getting is from Windows 7 about Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. It is not about Intel Visual Fortran. However, we certainly did not test 10.1 on Windows 7.

You can use VS2005 on Windows 7 if you follow the instructions for using it on Windows Vista. You will first need to install VS2005 SP1 and then the VS2005 SP1 Update for Windows Vista. Read the latter article for information on restrictions. Unfortunately, if you don't already have VS2005 SP1, Microsoft seems to have removed it from their site - all of the links I can find to it are broken.

0 Kudos