Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Compiler Bug in Complex Read

padway__emmett
Beginner

I have found a bug in the intel ifort compiler 2019.3.199. I try to read real data into a complex variable using the following code: read(2) CFL%re

read(2) W%re

When doing so I get the following error: "Constants and expressions are invalid in read-only" Given that ifort claims it is fortran 2008 compliant, and that this capability is part of the 2008 standard, I believe I have found a bug.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I agree that this would be a bug; %re and %im are treated as components of the complex type. Do you understand that these statements change only the real part and don't touch the imaginary part?

Please use the orange "Bug Report" button at the top of the forum to report this to Intel.

0 Kudos
padway__emmett
Beginner

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response. Indeed I do. I have restart files and write only the real part of the arrays to them. As such when I read, I want to only read the real part. Hence the attempt (in the complex mode of the code) to read with:

read(2) W%re

I'll submit a bug report in the hopes of getting this fixed. As otherwise I need to do some ugly copying with my arrays which is undesirable.

Thanks,

Emmett

0 Kudos
padway__emmett
Beginner

I submitted a bug report after the previous comment and Intel never fixed this issue. I'm bumping this in the hopes of shaming them some after nearly a year.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I suggest you add a reply to your existing bug report asking for status.  This usually helps. Posting here may not, as the support engineers don't seem to follow up on issues posted here (I always did...)

0 Kudos
padway__emmett
Beginner

Thanks, will do. And you're the legend for a reason

0 Kudos