Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Compiling for older Linux

Roman1
New Contributor I

I am using Intel Fortran compiler 17.0.4 on Ubuntu 16.04 .  I gave the compiled code to a user whose system has CentOS 6.9.  I was told that they can't run the code because the code was compiled for GLIBC_2.14, and they have GLIBC_2.12.  Is there a way for me to compile the code so that they can use it?  Do you think it would work if I link all the libraries statically?

Roman

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mecej4
Black Belt

I cannot answer what to do for any specific Linux distro and version, but one of these suggestion may work:

(i) Ask your users to see if there is a package/rpm for Glibc 2.14 that they can install.

(ii) Install the older .so on your development system and link the a.out using this older library.

Trying to build a fully static a.out is an act of desperation, and may not work in many current versions of Linux because of a dependency on a library such as the OpenMP library that is not available in static form.