Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Compiling speed (Composer XE)

portoon
Beginner

Dear friends

I have a project which works fine in IVF11.1.067 + VS2008.

After I updated the compiler to Composer XE(using the same license key), the compling speed is horrible.

Its speed is about 10 times slower than V11.

Is there any one who has the same problems ?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
I am not sure that you want to wait until someone else runs into the same problem!

To help pinpoint the cause, you could try compiling from the command line if possible, e.g., if you have or can write a makefile to do that with your project.

If that is not possible, you can enable verbose mode for the compiler, rebuild and try to ascertain the problem using the build log.
0 Kudos
jparsly
New Contributor I
How much memory do you have? If the new compiler is using a bit more memory than the old one, you might have crossed a threshold that has created "thrashing", where the computer is getting tied up swapping
data to your hard drive in order to free up space in your virtual memory.

An obvious symptom is that your hard disk LED would be constantly lit up.

We had that problem with CVF on a machine that only had .5 GB memory. After an update,
the compiler was essentially unusable on one of our larger bits of code. The fix was simple enough, we
swapped out memory and upgraded to 1 GB which cleared up the problem.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It is not normal for the compile speed to be much slower between the two versions. Is there a specific source file that takes much longer or is it a lot of little things that add up?
0 Kudos
thomas_boehme
New Contributor II
I also had very slow compile times after installing Composer XE 2011. Every compile took at least 10 times longer than before.
I found out that the actual CPU usage was very low and I believe the compiler got stuck somewhere during the license check.
Then, I uninstalled all Intel Fortran compilers, manually deleted the remaining folders in c:\program files\intel and c:\program files\common files\intel and did a full reinstall.
After that, compile speed was back to normal.
Maybe that helps for you as well.
regards,
Thomas
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
It sounds like there may be problem with license checking that is slowing the compiler. If you are encountering the problem, can I ask the following:

1. Create an issue at premier.intel.com (same login and password as registration.intel.com)
2. Zip all your Intel licenses on the system up and attach to the issue created in step 1. (they should be in the following directory, but a search of *.lic on the system may show some others thatwoudl be found by the compiler).
[Program Files]\Common files\Intel\Licenses\
3. Request in the issue communication that the issue be assigned to Wendy Doerner.

I will communicate through the issues and then summarize here the results of my investigation. I need to go the premier support route since I can only take this thread privated for the original poster and licensning information contains private information (i.e. your serial number).

------

Wendy

Attaching or including files in a post

0 Kudos