Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Conditional breakpoint causes VS to crash

jirina
New Contributor I

I have a problem with conditional breakpoints - if I place a breakpoint in the code and specify a condition that uses a logical variable, VS crashes once the breakpoint location is reached. If I remove the condition, everything is OK and VS does not crash.

Breakpoint is set in a global subroutine (not in any module), the logical variable is used from a module (let's call it "Settings"), so the subroutine contains the line "use Settings, only : applyCorrection". The breakpoint condition is "applyCorrection.eq..TRUE.".

Am I specifying the breakpoint condition incorrectly?

I use VS 2010 Professional SP1 and IPS XE 2016 Update 3 on Windows 7 Professional SP1. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Can you provide more details about the condition? What is the expression? Do you use "is true" or "has changed"?

0 Kudos
jirina
New Contributor I

I am sorry, I forgot to be more specific. The expression is mentioned in my original post, it is

applyCorrection.eq..TRUE.

where logical*4 :: applyCorrection is a module variable and "Is true" is used in the breakpoint condition.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I don't know about the innards of the VS expression evaluator, but in Fortran you should have used

IF (applyCorrection) ...

instead of using the comparison operator .EQ., which should not be used to compare logical variables.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II
applyCorrection.eq..TRUE. ! throws an error

applyCorrection.eqv..TRUE. !works ok

In an example I made

but whey not have the condition as just applyCorrection

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

What I see is that if I use .EQ. in the condition, the breakpoint isn't hit. If I use .EQV. it is. I can also just put the name of the variable as the condition and select "Is true". But I don't get a VS crash. This is in VS2010 with 16.0.3.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

additional: I note in your other thread you have VS2010, I tested in VS2013 and at run time that says the condition is invalid so maybe that is an improvement to VS2010  just crashing....

0 Kudos
jirina
New Contributor I

Thank you for your quick help how to make the conditional breakpoint using logical variable work. I will give it a try after updating XE 2016 to Update 4. :-)

0 Kudos