Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Confused about something

WSinc
New Contributor I

I am just trying to get back into writing a Fortran application for a customer, and I noticed you are mentioning LINUX.

I dont know what LINUX is, first of all, I just want to get to work on this matter.

so what do I need to buy and download to do some practical work, coding a science application ?

I still have the older compiler, but that uses the Visual Studio 2010 shell.

I would like to get something more up to date, if possible, and skip the unnecessary stuff.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

This forum is for Intel Fortran on Linux and Macintosh OSX operating systems. It seems that you are interested only in the Windows operating system, and there is a separate forum for that, where you have posted several times: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows .

The release notes for Parallel Studio 2018 should answer all your questions regarding features: https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/bd/eb/IPSXE_2018_Update1_Release_Notes_EN.pdf .

One point to note is that the "host" system, i.e., the computer on which you install and develop using the Intel Fortran 2018 compiler, has to be running a 64-bit version of Windows. If not, you are restricted to using an older version of the compiler package.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Linux is a UNIX-like operating system, very different from Windows. It tends to be popular on servers and in clusters (not that Windows can't be used in those modes, but it almost never is.) Most people do their application development from a command line, though IDEs (Visual Studio is an IDE) do exist there. Intel does not provide IDE support on Linux (though you can use Intel Fortran from some popular IDEs.)

If you have a client who wants you to deliver a Fortran application that runs on Linux, you could do most of the development in your familiar Windows environment, but towards the end you would need to have a system that runs Linux (either a separate computer, a Virtual Machine or a dual-boot system) and then buy the Linux version of the Intel compiler (assuming you wanted to use Intel's compiler there.) You can't use the Windows product to build a Linux application.

I'll comment that if you "don't know what LINUX is", you're going to struggle with this as the environment is very different. You can try it out for free by installing a virtual machine on your Windows system (I'd suggest Oracle's VirtualBox) and then installing a Linux distribution such as Ubuntu in it. Windows 10 now has a "Linux Subsystem for Windows" feature you can add that is Ubuntu - it's an easy way to become familiar with the environment but, last I tried it, the Intel Linux tools would not install there.

You might do well to pick up an introductory book on Linux and read through it to become familiar with the overall environment. Most of the nuts-and-bolts you won't need to be concerned with.

0 Kudos
Michael_S_17
New Contributor I

Visual Studio is the Integrated Development Environment (IDE) from Microsoft. Somewhat similar is the freely available IDE Code::Blocks (www.codeblocks.org): It has Fortran support and runs on different operating systems, including Windows and Linux Ubuntu. Another freely available Fortran compiler is gfortran (https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran) . Personally, I use both compilers (ifort and gfortran) for my coding to make sure my codes work with both of them without requiring any changes later on. If your code is standard Fortran, your Fortran programs should run on each operating system (after compiling them on a specific operating system). Another great place to ask for help is the comp.lang.fortran google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.lang.fortran .

Best Regards

0 Kudos