Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Could not find lld-link.exe

van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

We are using Visual Studio 2022 version 17.4.4 and Intel Fortran 2023.0.0. Visual Studio also has C++ installed (32 and 64 bit) as well as all the LLVM options. We have spent some time working through issues to get our code to compile with IFX (logged a number of support requests).

So now finally it all compiles.

But it does not link in some cases and you get:

xilib error #10037 could not find 'lld-link.exe'
Lib: spawn_errorno_default: spawn('c:\PROA~2\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\20230~1.0\windows\bin\Intel64\xilink.exe') failed.

I see some old posts in here about fixing the path and such, but those were ooolllllddd...

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Devorah_H_Intel

For building with ifx - are you using all 64bit tools? Are you using VS cmd interface or GUI VS IDE to build your projects?

van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

I was using the GUI. All 64 bit. I have opened a support ticket, and send them a small project to reproduce this.

Devorah_H_Intel

What is the case number? I will take a look. Thank you.

van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

Support ticket 05717043. Note that if I create a new Intel Fortran 64 bit console application and switch to IFX, it compiles and links fine. So it is not something that I did not install. It might be something in our projects or some setting in it? The support ticket has a small solution attached which reproduces the issue for me.

Ron_Green

xilink is used by Profile Guided Optimization, PGO.  Check your settings and turn it off.  For most Fortran applications PGO doesn't help much, maybe 0-4% better performance AT BEST.  

van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

I have looked but I do not see that option anywhere.

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

The Fortran integration in Visual Studio always uses xilink, even without PGO/IPO. In the past, when I have had issues with xilink, I renamed it and then copied link.exe to be named xilink.exe.

van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

Thank you Steve, I shall wait and see what the Intel developers say from the Support request, maybe they have a cleaner solution. I shall paste what they say here. We have taken some time to get a very large project to compile with IFX, so I am curious to get it to link to see if it will run.

Does Intel Fortran IFX let you use Address Sanitizer? We tried using it with our C++ code but if you have a lot of mixed code, it seems you need to have it everywhere, Fortran and C++ and the classic compiler does not support it.

Devorah_H_Intel

Did you try to download the full HPC Toolkit and build?