Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

DISLIN

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Steve:

I have used DISLIN with IF, in older versions of Windows - I use the latest 10.

It is quite simple to run a DISLIN program from the IFORT cmd prompt, but I really would like to use it in Visual Studio.

If I install the program as per the developers directions, the first error I get on compiling theirexample program is

Error 1  error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file.  Check INCLUDE paths.   [DISLIN] C:\Users\macne\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Program064 - DSLIN\DISLIN\DISLIN\exa_f90.f90 132 

The mod file it is looking for is in the directory ::

C:\dislin\ifc

There are several ways to reference it -- but what is the recommended or preferred method.

c:\dislin is on the path --

It is the latest DISLIN version - sorry for such a stupid question -- but my way is not a good way

John

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Modules are looked for in the INCLUDE directory list. Add the appropriate folder to the INCLUDE environment variable, or if using Visual Studio, the "Additional Include directories" project property.

For example:

set INCLUDE=C:\dislin\ifc;%INCLUDE%

An alternative is to add:

/IC:\dislin\ifc

to the compile options. (That's a capital I in the option.)

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

gdi32.lib user32.lib disifm.lib

The example program links with the following libraries.  What exactly are gdi32 and user32 for? I added the three to the linker additional dependencies and it worked - thanks

- If you are using your Intel compiler with MS Studio 2005
        or later, you have to link with the Dislin library disifm.lib
        (or disifm_d.lib) instead of disifl.lib (or disifl_d.lib).
        disifm.lib and disifm_d.lib are compiled for using libcmt
        instead of libc. If you want to link for Multithreaded DLL
        runtime libraries (/MD), you can use the Dislin libraries
        disifd.lib (or disifd_d.lib).

What is the difference between libcmt and libc? 

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

gdi32 and user32 are two Windows API libraries. If your program calls routines declared in these libraries you must link to them. For Fortran code that uses the modules we supply (IFWIN or USER32,GDI32) those modules include directives that pull the libraries in automatically. I would assume that DISLIN calls API routines defined in these libraries, as this is where all of the graphics and user-interaction APIs are.

libc doesn't exist anymore. It was the single-threaded static MSVC library. It went away in VS2005. libcmt is the thread-safe version of the static MSVC library.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

so

USE USER32

USE GDI32

is the preferred method over IFWIN - or so I think I am reading from an earlier post.

Thanks as usual you are prompt and efficient

John

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Finally :

The examples give each subroutine in the main program unit a separate USE DISLIN, can one however place a USE DISLIN at the start of the program and each subroutine will see it -- or is that wrong -

In each module I develop I only use the one statement and have not had problems?

John

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I think that the individual USE statements for the API modules is better.

Yes, you are wrong about one USE DISLIN at the start of the program. If you use it only once, then you're not getting the declarations from the module in other procedures. (Unless you've put USE DISLIN in a module that you in turn USE in each procedure.)

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Apologies:

I meant

Module D

use GDI32
    use USER32
    use DISLIN
    contains

subroutine new ()

call DISINI()
    call DISFIN()

return 
    end

end module D

if I use the use DISLIN at the start of the module - then all the subroutines in the module see it

This compiles inside my beam program , but on execution I get weird errors as shown in file -- any ideas?

John

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You haven't gotten as far as execution - you're getting link errors due to the dreaded disease MCLS (Multiple C Library Syndrome.) Some of your code is compiled to use the debug static libraries and some is compiled to use the non-debug static C libraries. My guess is that DISLIN is specifying the non-debug. You can change your Fortran project property Fortran > Libraries to specify, for Use Run-Time Library, "Multithreaded" rather than "Debug Multithreaded".

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Thanks a lot for the help

0 Kudos