Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Debugger issues with arrays in IVF 2019.0.117 in MSVS 2017

avinashs
New Contributor I

I have upgraded to IVF 2019.0.117 integrated with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 on a Windows 10 platform. However, the debugging feature is not functioning correctly although the compiler and the results are fine and consistent with previous versions. In particular, arrays are not visible when a breakpoint is enabled (see attached screenshot for the errors generated with the sample code below). Is this a known bug or do I have to reinstall the current software?

program main

implicit none

type :: MyVar
     integer(kind = 4) :: n
     real(kind = 8), dimension(:), allocatable :: a
  end type MyVar

type(MyVar) :: Me

real(kind = 8), dimension(:), allocatable :: b

Me%n = 5

allocate(Me%a(Me%n), b(Me%n))

Me%a = 1.0d0

b = 1.0d0

print *, 'Array in user-defined type: a = ', Me%a
  print *, 'Array in main program: b = ', b

deallocate(b, Me%a)

end program main

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

At the time of release, it worked. Microsoft broke the debugger integration with a VS2017 update after the Intel release, and Intel needed to revise their code to adjust. I am not privy to what changed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
avinashs
New Contributor I

Additional input on the problem above ... MSVS 2017 (v15.8.4) is crashing in debug mode i.e. if a breakpoint is set. Upon re-opening automatically, MSVS2017 has an error message "A previous session terminated unexpectedly. Disabling extension 'Intel(R) Fortran Expression Evaluator 1.0' might help prevent similar issues." 

0 Kudos
Judge__Tom
Beginner

I am having the same issue. As well as when trying to expand any type (which I assume is the same problem). I've been waiting to see some reply, update, or anything here. Is this a known issue, being worked on?

0 Kudos
avinashs
New Contributor I

After posting the original thread here, I received a response directly from Intel  confirming the problem along with a patch that fixed the issue. Now the debugger works great with arrays after installing the patch (in fact, better than it has been for the past few years as far as arrays are concerned). However, I did not see any update here on the forum. I believe the patch will be rolled out in the next software release but that is for Intel to confirm.

0 Kudos
sylvian_k_
Beginner

I will be very interested to receive this patch also because I have the same problem.

Moreover, a couple of upgrades ago (of VS 17) it was possible to compress a function or a subroutine in the editor.

I mean there was a small +, like in C, and a click on it made a single line out of a block. It seams that this feature also disappeared.

0 Kudos
Chou__Byron
Beginner

I am having the same problem here. after updating VS 15.8.1 to 15.8.7, the problem is still unsolved. Has Intel fixed the bug already? as I stiill can't find any patch resolving this issue.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

The FEE patch that fixes the issue is now available for download HERE.

0 Kudos
LRaim
New Contributor I

I have a couple of curiosities:
The first is technical; it would be interesting to know some details about the code error which has generated this issue.
The second is why such an issue has not been detected by Intel in testing the product before its release. 
Best regards

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

At the time of release, it worked. Microsoft broke the debugger integration with a VS2017 update after the Intel release, and Intel needed to revise their code to adjust. I am not privy to what changed.

0 Kudos