Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28444 Discussions

Debugging a fortran DLL using a *.exe compiled with Delphi 6

jpharvey1981
Beginner
I am trying to debug a Fortran DLL(compiled with the intel Visual Fortran 11.1)in the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008environment using a *.exe compiled with Delphi 6. When I start the debugger, I get the following warning:

... Debugging information for 'Project1.exe' cannot be found or does not match. Binary was not built with debug information.

Is there a way touse my compiled *.exe from Delphi in visual studio in a waythat I canadd and use break pointsin my Fortran dllwhen running the debugger?

Does a newer version of delphi would help for debugger compatibility?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
See here
0 Kudos
jpharvey1981
Beginner
I already made this setup in Visual studio andit results in the quoted warning message ...
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ignore the warning.
0 Kudos
jpharvey1981
Beginner
I also ignored the warning to see what would happen...

The Delphi .exe program is executed and the Fortran DLL compiled with Intel visual Fortran is working properly.

The subroutine of my Fortran DLLis called many times but the breakpoint contained in this subroutine is not breaking the execution. Only one version of this FortranDLL exists on my computer so I am 100% sure that the Fortran DLLused in my programis the one I am trying to debug.

I also have the following warning in my DLL code: "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document..."

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Is the DLL a debug build? I've never had a problem doing this.
0 Kudos
jpharvey1981
Beginner
Yes, to my limited knowledge using this compiler and the Visual studio environement, I have a debug DLL. In the configuration manager of my Fortran DLL I see: (Configuration Properties, Debugging): Configuration = Debug Is there another (Compiling/linking) option that I am missing when I am compiling the DLL? I also have a demo version of the Intel compiler, don't know if this influences the debugging mode...
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If you have Configuration: Win32 Debug, then that should be enough. I just tried this using the Excel sample provided and it worked. I got the initial warning about the executable not being debuggable, but the breakpoint did get hit. Did you actually run the Delphi program or just rely on the fact that the breakpoint initially shows up with a ? indicating that it would not be hit?

No, the evaluation version of the compiler does not influence this.
0 Kudos
jpharvey1981
Beginner

I found the problematic:

In the Fortran Debugging menu (project property pages),
I have to set the option --> Debug Information Format: FULL.

Like I said, I am a newbie with the Intel Compiler and I hope this might help other people...

Thanks a lot Mr. Lionel for your help!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Glad to hear it, but that property should have already been set for a Debug configuration.
0 Kudos