Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Debugging host-associated variables XE 2015

martymike
Beginner

We still cannot see the value of host-associated variables. Is there any hope that someday this will be corrected?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about something as simple as the value of x in the subroutine abc, below (not a real program):

subroutine myprog(i)
integer x,i
x=i
contains
subroutine abc
print *,x
end subroutine abc
end subroutine myprog

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I am using the PSXE 2016 integrations with Visual Studio but I believe you can do the same with PSXE 2015 integrations into Visual Studio.

To see the value of X, use the stack frame pull-down to change the context to the host. The first screen snap below shows the issue you described, and second shows the value of X after setting the stack frame to the host scope (line 5).

There is an existing open defect against host-associated variables (DPD200283998) not being shown in the debugger that appears related to the underlying behavior here. Hopefully using the stack frame enables you to see host-associated variables of interest.

0 Kudos
martymike
Beginner

Yes. we are aware that you can use that method, and we get by with it. But there are times when it becomes extremely tedious. In a loop where many variables are changing, stepping line-by-line, ... step over the next line, select the host program from the call stack, select the current location to see the values in context, step over the next line, etc., ...

I just keep hoping - year after year - that there might be something better coming. At this point I'd settle for a syntax to specify in watch window like host::var. It's the having to use the call stack to switch contexts in order to see variable values that is such an efficiency killer.

I rarely use host variables like this in new code, but we have a lot of old programs that are nothing but.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Ok, thank you for the additional feedback. I'm sorry this has persisted for so long. I will add your case to the earlier cited internal tracking id and do some internal follow-up to see how this issue might be resolved in an upcoming release.

0 Kudos