Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28499 Discussions

Debugging ifort in VS 2022 17.7 hangs expression evaluator

AONym
New Contributor II

Just updated VS2022 from 17.6.x to 17.7.0. Now, none of the following work when using the VS debugger on Fortran code:

1) Data tips on stack variables give nothing.

2) Locals window is empty (shows busy...).

3) Attempt to add watch of a stack variable hangs (see attached screen shot), and now VS2022 is completely unresponsive.

This makes debugging Fortran code nearly impossible. Is there a fix? Would updating the compiler make any difference?

Windows 11, VS 7.7.0, ifort  2023.0.0. Complete details in attached VS about file.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Devorah_H_Intel

@wajahat @BrunoAmaral 

Attached please find the preview update of VSIX installer for the latest FEE Visual Studio extension with a fix for the hang issue reported here.

Please let me know if the hanging issue is fixed for you in VS 17.7.

To install:

• download and unzip attached VSIX installer
  • run the installer and follow prompts

NOTE: attached FEE VSIX installer for VS 17.7 is for testing only, VS 17.7 (released after oneAPI 2023.2 release) is not officially supported until next upcoming oneAPI HPC Toolkit release. 

View solution in original post

26 Replies
AONym
New Contributor II

I downloaded and installed the latest oneAPI Base and HPC kits, and the same error occurs. In addition to hanging VS2022, it uses rapidly increasing amounts of memory (GB). Intel, this needs to be fixed ASAP.

0 Kudos
ZlamalJakub
New Contributor III

I observed the same behavior when updated to VS 17.7.0.

I finally rolled back to 17.6 to be able to debug

To roll back VS:

1. run VS installer

2. press the More button

3. look for 'Rollback to previous version' and choose it

Barbara_P_Intel

This article lists the VS versions have been validated with various compiler releases. These versions have been validated with oneAPI 2023.2: Up to VS 2022 17.6.4.

0 Kudos
Nick3
New Contributor I

I just always have to do my upgrades without checking the version compatibility list, and when something is broken ... please let us know when ifort works with VS 17.7

0 Kudos
AONym
New Contributor II

Intel should be testing with each new VS release, or better, preview release. If there are incompatibilities, the oneAPI installer should warn users. Intel should never be releasing a product that files catastrophically like this. It shouldn't be the users who do your testing.

0 Kudos
AONym
New Contributor II

I can confirm that the VS rollback works, but before you do it, save your current VS settings (Tools / Import and Export Settings...), because the rollback reverts to the default settings. After you have finished the rollback, import the settings you exported.

TiborKibedi1
Beginner

I made a clean installation of MS VS 17.7.0 and Intel OneAPI 2023.2.0 and can confirm the problem. Removing OneAPI (Aug 2023) and installing 2023.0.0 (March 2023) the problem is still there. Looks like have to go back to VS 17.6.0? Any comment on that?

0 Kudos
ZlamalJakub
New Contributor III

VS 17.7.0 is not yet supported by Intel (see reply of Barbara_P_Intel above).

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

This debugger issue has been fixed. Let me know if you are unable to obtain/rollback to  supported version of the VS for oneAPI 2023.2 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

@Devorah_H_Intel , your brief post has left me more confused than usual.  What do you mean it has been fixed?  and how do you obtain a rollback version to community. 

The simplest method is just to use 2019 until you catch up.  

Thanks

John

The other paradox, on this site, the same question can be asked many times.  

Plus, why do I have to get a code from my email and then answer my phone.  The security level reminds me of a Black Adder story. If you not watched Black Adder then you are missing a treat.  

I watched the James Webb Telescope documentary last night, really excellent, explains the Nasa system really well,  especially error control. 

I assume that the analysis for the telescope flight path was done in Fortran.  Do NASA use Intel Fortran?

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

The fix is in the next oneAPI release. If one had a previous version of VS Community installed and then upgraded to unsupported 17.7 (with FEE issue) then the rollback feature can be utilized as described in this thread.

The supported 2022 VS versions are listed here

0 Kudos
AONym
New Contributor II

When will the "next oneAPI release" be available? And what VS 2022 version will it be compatible with?

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

The next release is planned before the end of 2023. I do not know which VS 2022 version will be supported since the release cadence is so different between the two products.

0 Kudos
BrunoAmaral
Novice

@Devorah_H_Intel  @Barbara_P_Intel , what about the users that have only the VS 2022 community version and cannot roll back to a previous version prior to 17.7.3? Will there be a version release only at the end of the year? Without the watch feature working properly, Fortran coding becomes a difficult task, especially with complex projects.

Barbara_P_Intel

We are working on a solution to the VS issues. No news yet.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

@AONym  please see the suggested workaround below:

Open Visual Studio 2022

Open your Solution

On the VS menu bar, select and open the menu item

"Debug"

select

"Options"

under "Debugging" -> "General"

scroll to near the end of the list of General options and un-select the following:

Disable “Load debug symbols in external process (Native only)" in the debug settings window.

fee-workaround.png

wajahat
Beginner

I had the same issue as others have reported here. Thanks @Devorah_H_Intel  for your workaround. This helped me to gain back the debugging functionality for my Fortran code in VS2022 v17.7.3 and without having to rollback to an earlier version, but only after a complete reboot.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

@wajahat @BrunoAmaral 

Attached please find the preview update of VSIX installer for the latest FEE Visual Studio extension with a fix for the hang issue reported here.

Please let me know if the hanging issue is fixed for you in VS 17.7.

To install:

• download and unzip attached VSIX installer
  • run the installer and follow prompts

NOTE: attached FEE VSIX installer for VS 17.7 is for testing only, VS 17.7 (released after oneAPI 2023.2 release) is not officially supported until next upcoming oneAPI HPC Toolkit release. 

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Screenshot 2023-09-19 104512.png

This is a fairly stock standard Fortran Program running on the latest VS 2022 preview with the VSIX file installed as supplied by Intel. It appears on the surface to be working. 

Could you thank the poor programmer who had to spend time doing this, it must be lonely in the Intel Basement.  

istockphoto-1491689429-612x612.jpg

Matthew_Z_
Novice

The VSIX worked for me with VS 2022 17.7.4

Thanks and Kudos!