Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Debugging

gib
New Contributor II

After many years of programming with IVF without touching the debugger, I've decided that it's time I learned how to use it, not from necessity but out of interest.  I'd be grateful if somebody could suggest a document or two explaining how to get started debugging Intel Fortran with Visual Studio.

Thanks

Gib

0 Kudos
2 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Try https://software.intel.com/en-us/fortran-compiler-18.0-developer-guide-and-reference-debugging-the-squares-example-program

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

Thanks Andrew.

That's helpful.  Interestingly, though, the commentary on that example is not accurate.  Step 10 says:

"Repeat the Step Over action and follow program execution into the DO loop and unto the end of the program."

but in fact the program doesn't get to the end.  When it tries to execute line 12, in which OUTARR(K) is accessed with K=0, there is a popup "squares.exe has triggered an exception" and the invitation to Break or Continue (the console also notified me about the invalid array subscript.)  It would be useful if the effects of these options were discussed.  Maybe the behaviour I see is a consequence of the age of my setup - IVF 11.0.075 and VS 2005.

0 Kudos