Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Download and install ifort for ubuntu 14.04

akshay_b_2
Beginner

Hello

I need to install ifort non-commercial version on my 64 bit system with OS ubuntu 14.04. From the intel website i have the non-commercial tool but it doest not support Ubuntu.

Can anyone please tell me from where i can download and install ifort for UBUNTU 14.04 version

Thank you

AKSHAY BHATNAGAR

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Support for Ubuntu 14.04 was initially added in the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 release (15.0 compiler). It remains supported in our latest Parallel Studio XE 2016 release (16.0 compiler). The system requirements are listed in the product release notes. Refer to the Intel® Compiler Release Notes by Version article for past and current release notes.

You can refer the article How do I get an older version of an Intel® Software Development Product? for details on downloading older versions.

I noticed you currently have three new Academic (Student) licenses for the Parallel Studio XE 2016 Release registered/configured to the same system. That suggests you may already have the PSXE 2016 release installed in which case if you needed the earlier 15.0 compiler then you could follow the advice in the earlier cited article to obtain that release.

0 Kudos
akshay_b_2
Beginner

I have installed the Parallel Studio XE 2016 in the directory /opt/intel, But when i use 'which ifort' command no installation directory appears. what should i do to check that ifort is installed correctly at the correct place?

0 Kudos
akshay_b_2
Beginner

This is to inform that i have installed the trail version, because as fas i know for Academic or student purposes the parallel studio is not available?

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

After the installation you can use the source command (e.g.  source /opt/intel/compilervars.sh intel64 ) to setup your environment to use the compiler. Refer to the User Guide information here, for some getting started information.

Parallel Studio is available Free under a variety of Academic related programs if you qualify. Refer to the Free Software Tools page for those options. Select the option most appropriate for you for additional details.

As I mentioned earlier, you already have registered three times under the Academic program above and you should have already received information containing serial numbers related to those. Further, since those licenses are registered to a specific system that suggests each associated license file generated as a by-product of you running the product installation have been downloaded to your system as well. I'm not sure where the confusion is regarding the licensing. Perhaps you can see the license files on your system under /opt/intel/licenses.

0 Kudos
akshay_b_2
Beginner

Hello

The installation completed successfully. But when i tried running my qunapol gamess program. it gave this error:

forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read, unit -5, file Internal List-Directed Read

when i searched for this error code, i found that i should re-install parallel studio. but now while re-installing the program is not going beyond the licence agreement. that is: when i type 'accept' and press enter, it does not go into next steps. can anyone please suggest a remedy?

Also. to note that i am using ubuntu 14.04 64 it system and installing the parallel studio 2016 update 1 and the ubuntu is perfectly updated.

Please help~

Thanks

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If you have missing application input data, it's hard to guess why you think re-installing the compiler will help.

If you wish to install again, you should first run the uninstall script in the compiler installation. This will clear out install directories and the rpmdb entries.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

akshay b. wrote:

Hello

The installation completed successfully. But when i tried running my qunapol gamess program. it gave this error:

forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read, unit -5, file Internal List-Directed Read

when i searched for this error code, i found that i should re-install parallel studio. 

It is not difficult to obtain bad advice, especially when you rely on a search engine for that advice. You may also find that the most-repeated bad advice can be the most highly-ranked search result.

Here is an example program that produces the same run time error:

program tst
implicit none
integer i
character(len=15) :: str = '1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0'
real x(5)
!
read(str,*)x
write(*,'(I1,2x,F10.2)')(i,x(i),i=1,5)
end

0 Kudos
Aleksandar_J_
Beginner

Hello,

Where I can find free ifort download? 

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The only free ifort we offer at present is for students and verified open source developers. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/qualify-for-free-software

0 Kudos
ikenna_m_
Beginner

Greetings.

I am a student in Nigeria. I only need the fortran compiler. Due to the relatively high cost of internet data here (no free wifi) and slow download speeds, I want to know if any one of these - IPP, DAAL, MKL and TBB - wholly has the fortran compiler I need. This will help me to not expend meagre resources downloading other components I don't need (at least for now). If I need to download all 4, then, so be it. I need help here.

Thank you. Awaiting your reply.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

None of those packages (IPP, etc.) includes a compiler. On the other hand, you can obtain one or more of them along with Fortran and/or C++ compilers if you download Parallel Studio or Composer XE.

You will probably be best off with an online installer for Parallel Studio, because you are allowed to choose which components to download and you will not waste time downloading unwanted components.

0 Kudos
ikenna_m_
Beginner

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I really need ONLY the one that will give me Fortran. Is it the Parallel Studio or the Composer XE? Also, please help me with the link to the proper one. I seem incapable of finding it on Intel's site.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

All Parallel Studio XE packages include Fortran except those that say "For C++" in their names. The smallest one that includes Fortran is Composer Edition for Fortran Linux. 

Note that we offer an "online installer" which is small. This lets you select the components you want and only those will be downloaded.

0 Kudos