Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Downloading Intel FORTRAN compiler 16.0

Vee__Jay
Beginner

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a link to download version 16.0.1 of the Intel FORTRAN compiler, but can't seem to see it anywhere? Any help would be appreciated. I've tried using the steps presented here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/older-version-product but it doesn't have the option for 2016 - it only goes back to 2020. 

I am unable to use a newer version of the compiler because the program crashes when compiling on a newer version.

If anyone could provide the link, that would be great!

Cheers.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

After you sign into the registration center, click on the link that says "xx active products shown and yyy expired products hidden". Choose a product, then use the dropdown list to choose an older version.

I am puzzled by how you decided that the 2016 version is the specific version that will work for you after finding that the 2020 version failed. How are you sure that the bug is not in your code but in the compiler?

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I am unable to use a newer version of the compiler because the program crashes when compiling on a newer version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This can mean you have an error in the code that the old compiler did not find, always use the latest and fix the errors is a good rule.  The Powerstation version was a beast on old code -- nearly drove me mad for a few years. 

--------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Additionally, the latest compiler has functional and security updates. We encourage you to update your compiler for those reasons.

0 Kudos
Vee__Jay
Beginner

Hi all,

Yes, I would much rather use the latest compiler as well. However I am using some code that was provided and there are some mismatched symbol names. I'd like to match the build environment of this original code as much as possible. I am specifically looking for the 2016 version with the 5.1 mpiifot compiler wrapper. After trying the above step, I don't see an option for 2016 (see attached image).

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Intel has removed the 2016 version from downloads. Can you explain (or better, show) "mismatched symbol names"? I have a possible guess but I want to see what the actual error is before commenting.

0 Kudos
Vee__Jay
Beginner

Sure Steve, I've attached the error message.

Let me know if more info is needed.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That has nothing to do with compiler version - it's simply a missing user routine in your build. You'll have to dig in to the application to figure out if it's the reference that is bad or that you are missing some code.

I note that the missing names end with "vf_". The trailing underscore is a Linux convention for Fortran routines. The "vf" makes me wonder if the sources or configuration you have are intended for Intel Fortran on Windows, but that may be completely off the mark.

0 Kudos
Vee__Jay
Beginner

I see. Is there any way to fix this without going into the source code? I don't have access to that - only the compiled object files.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You need to figure out where routine mbovly_swat_vf is defined, and make sure that is included in the command that creates the executable.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Jay Vee, you have yet to show us the "mismatched symbol names". You have not shown us the linker command line, nor have you stated how you attempted to compile and link the executable.

You can obtain lists of external symbols from compiled object files by runningthe command nm -g on each such file.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The screenshot in post 7 shows that the missing (not "mismatched") symbol is mbovly_swat_vf referenced in routine cdxter_mpi. Both of these are routines in the user's application.

And, by the way, it is unfortunate that many users jump to the conclusion that they need an old compiler version when they run into an error they don't understand.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

And, by the way, it is unfortunate that many users jump to the conclusion that they need an old compiler version when they run into an error they don't understand.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will never be accused of that - lol, I spend to much time on the razors edge. 

0 Kudos