Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28443 Discussions

Environment setup issues in ububtu16.04

ab1
Beginner

sir

i have intel parallel_studio_xe_2018_update1_cluster_edition installed in my laptop having ubuntu 16.04 OS.  i need to work with fortran compiler.

I am not sure if i am giving correct path to set up environment.  i have given in .bashrc file

PATH="/opt/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.1.163/linux/bin/intel64:$PATH"
export PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.1.163/linux/compiler/lib/intel64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

2 in same .bashrc file if i mention

/opt/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.1.163/linux/bin/ifortvars.sh intel64

i get this message if i open a terminal.....

ERROR: architecture is not defined. Accepted values: ia32, intel64
Syntax: ippvars.sh <arch> [-arch <arch>] [-platform <platform>]

<arch> must be one of the following:
      ia32           : Set up for IA-32 target.
      intel64        : Set up for Intel(R)64 target.
  <platform> must be of the following:
      linux          : Set to Linux target.
      mac            : Set to Mac target.
      android        : Set to Android target.

If the arguments to the sourced script are ignored (consult docs
for your shell) the alternative way to specify target is environment
variables COMPILERVARS_ARCHITECTURE to pass <arch> to the script
and COMPILERVARS_PLATFORM to pass <platform>
/opt/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.1.163/linux/bin/ifortvars.sh: 42: [: =: unexpected operator
/opt/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.1.163/linux/bin/ifortvars.sh: 50: [: =: unexpected operator
/opt/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.1.163/linux/bin/ifortvars.sh: 159: [: =: unexpected operator
/opt/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.1.163/linux/bin/ifortvars.sh: 171: [: =: unexpected operator

this message gets removed if i write like this

source /opt/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.1.163/linux/bin/ifortvars.sh intel64

3  what is ia32_lin, intel64_lin_gfx and intel64_lin in compilers_and_libraries_2018/linux/lib

4  i have successfully installed ifort and my sample file are running correctly.

the documentation didnt help me. pl clarify issues point by point

ab

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

All you should need to add to your bashrc file is

source /opt/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.1.163/linux/bin/compilervars.sh intel64

(Please note, I changed "ifortvars" to "compilervars", and please note you need the "source" verb)

That will correctly set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and will correctly invoke the underlying scripts for ifort, and for any of the performance libraries.

The subdirectories you referenced in compilers_and_libraries/Linux/lib contain specific performance and runtime libraries for different architectures.   For Fortran, the supported libraries are for IA-32 Linux and for Intel64 Linux.  There are no Fortran runtime libraries in the intel64_lin_gfx subdirectory.

I hope this helps,

--Lorri

0 Kudos
ab1
Beginner

thanks Lorri.... hopefully it should end my woes !

1  by the way what does _LIN stand for and what do ia32_lin, intel64_lin signify

2  how do i know what are the prerequisites for ifort ?

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I am not a Ubuntu user, but I have a vague memory of Ubuntu using the dash shell as its default shell in at least some releases of Ubuntu. If the Intel-provided scripts ifortvars.sh, etc., use "bash-ism"s, the script may not function as intended under dash. You will have to consult someone else or search the Web for dealing with this issue, if it pertains to your PC.

The "win-" prefix stands for Windows. So, what should "lin-" and "mac-" stand for?

The prerequisites are listed in detail in the release notes for your version of Parallel Studio or Intel Composer for Fortran. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-parallel-studio-xe-release-notes-and-new-features .

0 Kudos