Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26758 Discussions

Error compiling using openMP threadprivate feature in Fortran

Rémy_M
Beginner

Hello,

I encounter an error when compiling my software when activating openMP. This is a small program showing what I want to do :

program test_threadsafety

use omp_lib

implicit none

integer :: i, nb

nb = 20

!$omp parallel default(shared)
  !$omp do schedule(runtime)
  do i = 1, nb
    call make_save_variable(i)
  end do
  !$omp end do
  !$omp end parallel

contains

subroutine make_save_variable(i)
    implicit none
    integer, intent(in) :: i
    !$omp threadprivate(thread_id)
    integer, save :: thread_id = -1

if( thread_id == -1 ) then
      print *,'getting thread id '
      thread_id = omp_get_thread_num()
    end if

print *, 'in thread ', thread_id, ' iterator : ', i

end subroutine

end program

I have to say that it works fine with gfortran.... I run a 17.0.4 version of ifort.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks for the help...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Juergen_R_R
Valued Contributor I

Also the NAG compiler has no problem with the code. It looks like that ifort does not like the declaration of thread_id to come after the OMP statement. If I move the declaration up ahead of the OMP directive, the code also compiles with ifort. However, I don't know whether the standard has to say anything about this, but from the logical of the program flow, the declaration should come first. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Juergen_R_R
Valued Contributor I

Also the NAG compiler has no problem with the code. It looks like that ifort does not like the declaration of thread_id to come after the OMP statement. If I move the declaration up ahead of the OMP directive, the code also compiles with ifort. However, I don't know whether the standard has to say anything about this, but from the logical of the program flow, the declaration should come first. 

View solution in original post

Rémy_M
Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply and the resolution.

That was a really stupid error from me ! Now that you pointed that out it makes so much sense... I will have to fix some bad programming habit.