Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28703 Discussions

Evaluation version different from original? F90-F95 issues

sschwss
Beginner

Hi!

I have just downlaoded and run some tests on the evaluation version of Intel Visual Fortran Compiler 10.0, Professional and Standard Editions, for Windows*, and I am wondering if this one is different than the "real" version?

In particular, while working in Visual Studio, it doesn't seem to like .F95 files. A quick search in this forum lead me to a post in 2003 stating no "current" support for .F95 files, but that this would be included in next version. So i assume it should be in by now.

In paticular, what happens is that

1) *.F95 files are not in display list when trying to open files.

2) Comment/uncomment feature is not supported when working in an *.F95 file.

3) Compiling an *.F95 file lead to a serries of problems (when this was the main project file. Including *.F95 files in an *.F90 file caused no problems).

Based on what I've read the compiler should support F95. And under properties, Fortran, language, Source File Format, it says Use File Extension. So I wonder if this means that an F90 is compiled as Fortran 90 or 95?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction as I assume there is a simple explination to this :-)

/Jensen/

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
ifort has default option sets for .for, .f, and .f90 files, with upper and lower case taken as equivalent on Windows. Like most Fortran compilers, the file name does not restrict the syntax. .f90 is compiled in accordance with f95 and the portion of the f2003 standard which ifort implements.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There is no difference in the compiler between evaluation and release versions. I'm not sure what you read, but our compiler does not recognize the file type .f95 by default. If you insist on using this file type, which I think is a bad idea, you can tell the Visual Studio environment to recognize .f95 as a free-form file type in Tools > Options > Intel Fortran. This may not enable you to use .f95 files in all the places you want, but it will allow compilation. From the command line, see the /extfor option.

But please do not make the mistake of confusion file type with standard revisions. It was an unfortunate industry choice to settle on .f90 to mean "free-form Fortran source", as it led people to conclude that the "90" meant specifically Fortran 90. When Fortran 95 and now Fortran 2003 came out, some people thought they should rename their files accordingly. This is a big mistake in my opinion.

The file type indicates source form only - it has no other meaning.

Intel Fortran is a full Fortran 95 compiler with many Fortran 2003 features. The standard does not say anything about source file names, so it is up to each implementation to decide how to decide whether a source file is fixed or free-form. Some vendors have introduced new file types such as .f95, but we chose not to do so as we think it's a bad idea that will lead to confusion and portability issues.
0 Kudos
sschwss
Beginner

Thank you both for your quick and informative replies. You are not only helping me understand your software better, but also "best practice" Fortran utilization.

/Jensen/

0 Kudos