Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Extended Fixed Form Coloring in VS Studio 2015

Alexander_K_1
Beginner

Hello!

I am using Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Fortran Compiler 17. My fortran files have .for extension and extended fixed form format (i.e. 132 characters width).

Everything seems to be working fine except my Text Editor coloring. It is automatically set up for standard fixed form width, so all the code to the right from Character 73 has the same coloring as comments.

Please, give me a suggestion how to improve coloring scheme in VS Studio 2015 for 132-character width fixed form fortran files.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I could not find any available setting to alter the behavior here. I am checking w/our IDE integration team if there's any functionality available for this.

0 Kudos
Alexander_K_1
Beginner

Kevin D (Intel) wrote:

I could not find any available setting to alter the behavior here. I am checking w/our IDE integration team if there's any functionality available for this.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your reply. I found an intermediate solution for now: fixed form length can be specified in the properties of Fortran Project. So, I just created temporary project and added existing files there.

I will look forward to hearing an update about this setting for files outside of the project.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Well, you took all the air out of my bubble....I has just learned what you found. You set the Fortran Project setting: Fortran > Language > Source file Format  to 132 Columns (/extend_source: 132), then close/reopen any source files under the VS IDE and ta-da! Correct coloring!

But as you note, this is not applicable to source files not yet a part of Fortran project so I'll go ask about that next. Stay tuned.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Unfortunately, there's no solution for files outside of a Fortran project.

0 Kudos