Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

F2003 Features in 10.x

joseph-krahn
New Contributor I
I have been testing the F2003 features in the 10.x beta series. I generated a complete interface to the HDF5 library C API. Support for the C_PTR type makes it possible to pass a generic data reference without a specific routine for every possible type/rank/kind combination. Type-specific functions are nice to catch bugs, but a generic reference makes it possible to store derived-type structures in the HDF5 data, as has been possible with C structures.

The bad news is that it does not yet support polymorphic derived types, or Fortran function pointers. However, the ability to use C_PTR as a generic pointer can often work around the lack of a polymorphic type. It is also possible to use C_FUNPTR to store function pointers, although without the type qualifications of a Fortran function pointer.

So, it seems that 10.0 will have all of the features needed to create code that can work with C portably. It would be interesting to know if other users have tested ISO_C_BINDING, and how other people feel about the need for polymorphic types and Fortran function pointers.

Joe Krahn

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Joe,

10.0 is still in beta testing. We do not encourage discussion of beta versions in this forum.

Procedure pointers are high on the list of things to do next.

0 Kudos
joseph-krahn
New Contributor I
>> We do not encourage discussion of beta versions in this forum.

OK, sorry; no comments on Intel's Beta compiler versions. Just consider Fortran's ISO_C_BINDING.

Even without other F2003 features, ISO_C_BINDING by itself is a huge advantage for a generic data API like HDF5. A lot of Fortran programmers see F2003 as just adding unneeded complexity, but I think they have not considered difficulties of trying to make a library API. I see ISO_C_BINDING as a huge step forward. Other people might think that the !DEC$ and other existing compiler extensions are sufficient.
0 Kudos
f2003
Beginner
I love Fortran2003?
how can I download 10.x ?
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

10.0 compilers would appear on registrationcenter.intel.com upon release, in a few weeks.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Well, more than what I'd consider a few. You'll see an announcement here (and get email from Intel if you've registered your license and are eligible for the new version) when it happens. 10.0 will NOT be a "full F2003" compiler - I don't want unrealistic expectations.
0 Kudos