Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

FEE_MAX_LOCALS

Bert_2
Beginner

Where can I change the value of the environment variable FEE_MAX_LOCALS?

Bert

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

https://rulasopa833.weebly.com/intel-parallel-studio-xe-2016-ce-fortran-update-3-download-free.html 

You normally set Environment Variables in the Operating System, there are many entries in how it is done if you google.  

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

(I thought I had posted this two days ago - apparently incomplete.)

Why do you think this is an environment variable? Did you see some message during debugging naming this thing? If so, it is internal to the Fortran Expression Evaluator (FEE) and is not something you can change. What is the situation where this occurs? Can you show a screenshot of the message?

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

The manuals says clearly the FFE is set to 500 and if this is insufficient change the environment variable. 

From the web site I linked to 

If a location in the source code has more than that number of locals, they are truncated and a note is shown:Note: Too many locals! For performance reasons the list got cut after 500 entries!The threshold can be controlled via the environment variable FEEMAXLOCALS.
0 Kudos
Bert_2
Beginner
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

It would appear that the programmers for the debugger have gone the traditional route of using an Environment Variable to hold a value that is not often used by the program.  This is a good solution, the code is likely written in C++ and so it is easy to set the variable and it is easy to retrieve.  They did not add it to the main window bars, which suggests it is not something they want people to play with at all.  

There are very many web pages that show you how to set an environment variable for your version of Windows.  I would set the FEE_MAX_LOCALS and FEEMAXLOCALS to your number,  it has two names in two places.  It is not going to bother Windows if you have both. 

Good luck.  

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I had not heard of this before - nice to see it's there.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Aren't the FEE MAX LOCALS a race of small people in a  series of novels by Terry Pratchett? Crivens!

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Humour is frowned upon in this august group.  

As Caesar saying - Et tu Brute, or something similar from the Greek.  

can be interpreted as a complaint containing a "suggestion of mimetic compulsion"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimesis 

One could argue with some humour that the use of a single Environment Variable in VS and the debugger is copying something the programmer probably learnt in University or from an old master.  

Of course there are several old masters here, they just paint in Fortran and do not make millions. 

I rather think that it is actually what van Gogh said when he cut off his ear.  

0 Kudos