Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Fail to install Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 4 with VS 2017 Professional

Hewei_S_
New Contributor I

Hi I heard the new Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 4 is released so that I tried to install it with VS 2017 professional edition. I aim to use it on my Fortran Projects.  I first installed the VS 2017 and checked "Universal Windows Platform development" and "Desktop development with C++" in the installer. After the installation, I installed the update 4 of Parallel Studio 2017 and checked VS 2017 integration. Then I rebooted my computer after installation. However, I still cannot open or create Fortran projects in VS 2017, so I tried to repair the installation of parallel studio and it gives the following warning: 

"Incomplete installation of Microsoft Visual Studio* 2017 is detected.
Modification can continue; however, Intel® C++ and Fortran Compilers will not be integrated into Microsoft Visual Studio* 2017 Professional edition during installation. Please, contact customer support (http://www.intel.com/software/products/support)."

The Visual Studio Installer warns me that the Visual Studio Professional 2017 is "Setup completed with warnings". 

I am not sure this is a compatibility issue or I installed the software wrong. How can I fix this problem and make it work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hewei_S_
New Contributor I

Kevin from Intel helped me solve this problem. I first uninstalled both VS2017 and PSXE2017.  Then I installed VS2017 with "Desktop Development with C++" only, without any other components. Then I installed PSXE2017 update 4  on top of the newly installed VS2017. Then you may modify VS2017 and install any other component you want.  Now everything seems working fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Sorry to hear about the problems with this combination. I am not quite following the sequence so please pardon the added questions.

I gather before the reboot you tried opening/creating a Fortran project and that didn't work, so you rebooted?

What exactly is the problem you experience with opening/creating Fortran projects?   Does it not recognize Fortran projects?  Is there an error of any kind?

During the repair of PSXE 2017, what action did you take when you received the warning about the incomplete installation?   Did you quit without modification?

And then at some point did you rerun the Visual Studio installer to receive the message that it completed with warnings?

We may need some log files from your system to diagnose the issue. Look in your TEMP directory (In a file explorer window type %TEMP% in the address bar) for a folder with a name starting with pset_ and ending with your username. Inside there will be folders from recent install attempts - zip up the latest one and send it to us. For privacy you can attach that to a private reply (use the Send Author a Message link) to me if you wish.

0 Kudos
Hewei_S_
New Contributor I

Hi Kevin, 

Thank you for your reply! I encountered this problem at the first time of installation so that I tried the second time but encountered the same problem, here are the steps that I took:

1. Download both installers.

2. I first installed the VS 2017 professional (only the core, about 600+MB in size). 

3. I tried to install PSXE 2017 but it (in the pre-requisite step) tells me that VS 2017 requires C++ compilation tools (something like that), if I continue the installation, VS2017 will not be able to compile fortran and C++. So I quit the PSXE2017 installation and opened the VS 2017 installer again.  I clicked modify and installed "Universal Windows Platform development" and "Desktop develop with C++".  Based on the names (sorry I am not expert) I thought these are the components that I need. The size is about 9 GB combined.  

4. I rebooted my computer after the modification finished. 

5. Then I tried to install PSXE 2017 and this time it did not give the warning I received last time. I checked VS 2017 integration and the installation was completely successful.

6. I rebooted again.

7. I opened VS 2017 and tried to open the Fortran project solution that I created in VS 2013. It failed and it told me that it cannot open the solution. I tried to create a new solution, but there were only visual C#, C++, Basic and Javascript and there was no option for Fortran. 

8. I thought maybe the PSXE 2017 installation was wrong so I opened its installer and clicked modification. Then I received the warning that I mentioned in the post. I clicked quit without modification.

9. I then checked VS installer and now it gives me the warning I mentioned above. This warning was not there after I installed VS 2017 professional. 

I will look for the temp file and send it to you as soon as I find it.  Thank you

Kevin D (Intel) wrote:

Sorry to hear about the problems with this combination. I am not quite following the sequence so please pardon the added questions.

I gather before the reboot you tried opening/creating a Fortran project and that didn't work, so you rebooted?

What exactly is the problem you experience with opening/creating Fortran projects?   Does it not recognize Fortran projects?  Is there an error of any kind?

During the repair of PSXE 2017, what action did you take when you received the warning about the incomplete installation?   Did you quit without modification?

And then at some point did you rerun the Visual Studio installer to receive the message that it completed with warnings?

We may need some log files from your system to diagnose the issue. Look in your TEMP directory (In a file explorer window type %TEMP% in the address bar) for a folder with a name starting with pset_ and ending with your username. Inside there will be folders from recent install attempts - zip up the latest one and send it to us. For privacy you can attach that to a private reply (use the Send Author a Message link) to me if you wish.

0 Kudos
Oliver_B_2
Beginner

Same problem here, the VS2017 debugger Extension installation step does not complete (installer hangs endless) and then there after the installer claims a partial 2017 Integration with "contact support" message. Big 3GB Setup Image, Windows 10 LTSB, Visual Studio 2013 and 2017 installed. Tried re-install including VS2017 reinstall, neither solution works. Intel, please help!

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

As requested from the OP, please look in your TEMP directory (in a file explorer window type %TEMP% in the address bar) for a folder with a name starting with pset_ and ending with your username. Inside there will be folders from recent install attempts - zip up the latest one and send it to us. For privacy you can attach that to a private reply (use the Send Author a Message link) to me if you wish.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

@Hewei S. - Thank you for the logs. I submitted those to our Installation Developer for analysis. Please stay tuned...

(Internal tracking id: INST-4133)

0 Kudos
li__hanyu
Beginner

I experienced similar problem.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I see you started a new thread for your instance. Thank you. I’ll respond there in a moment.

Your forum name displays as "(name withheld)" due to having an email set for your “Display Name” which is not allowed. To fix this and set a display name, click on the down arrow to the right of your name in the upper right of the page, select Dashboard, and then edit your profile to set a "Display Name".

0 Kudos
nikita_r_
Beginner

Similar problem. The installation deadlocks on final step while integration to VS 2017. The step is "Installing VSIX packages"...

0 Kudos
Hewei_S_
New Contributor I

Kevin from Intel helped me solve this problem. I first uninstalled both VS2017 and PSXE2017.  Then I installed VS2017 with "Desktop Development with C++" only, without any other components. Then I installed PSXE2017 update 4  on top of the newly installed VS2017. Then you may modify VS2017 and install any other component you want.  Now everything seems working fine.

0 Kudos
mjfort
Beginner

I have tried the exact same procedure and it fails (other thread about rc.exe). Could you please confirm the exact windows and VS2017 version you are using?

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Hewei_S_
New Contributor I

Hi Mat,

I am using windows 10 system. I installed Visual Studio 2017 Professional edition and Parallel Studio Xe Cluster Edition 2017 Update 4. 

Hope this helps. 

Hewei

mjfort wrote:

I have tried the exact same procedure and it fails (other thread about rc.exe). Could you please confirm the exact windows and VS2017 version you are using?

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
mjfort
Beginner

Thanks, I am using the Professional version of VS 2017 and PSXE, but I would guess that the compiler part is the same.

0 Kudos
philliard
Beginner

Has there been any change in this issue?  I have been having the same problem with my installation of PSXE2017 update 4 with the latest Visual Studio 2017.  It says that an "incomplete version of Visual Studio 2017 is detected" with a note to contact Intel support as described by another poster.  I created a support case (case 02791219) and I uploaded the log files, however in 10 days no one has acknowledged that they have read the support request.

I have verified that C++ desktop development in VS2017 is installed and working properly (we do a lot of development in C++ so I know it is working properly)

I have not tried uninstalling everything and installing VS2017 with C++ only.  If there is an update coming soon that fixes this issue, I'll just wait, however if it is going to be months away, I'll try that.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The OP resolved the issue by completely uninstalling both Visual Studio 2017 and Parallel Studio XE 2017 and re-installing both following the ordering as noted in reply #10. From the various reports we have received, our Developers identified an underling VS2017 installation issue that impacts our integrations into VS2017 that has been reported to MS. Not all installations of VS2017 experience the issue; however, some that do are detected and reported as an incomplete installation of VS2017. Others experience usability issues under VS2017 caused by an underlying installation failure with our integration components into VS2017.

mjfort has a work around for the rc.exe issue but we're awaiting information about the VTune driver signing issue from his original post here. Those are not the same as the issue the OP experienced.

I'm sorry you have not received a reply to your support case. I notified the person to whom that is assigned. I also reviewed the details from that and it does sounds the same as instances others have reported here. As much as I hate to, I recommend you completely uninstall the PSXE 2017 and VS2017 and reinstall both in the as described in post #10 of this forum thread.

We apologize for the installation problems.

0 Kudos
Leonid_K_
Beginner

I have the same problem. On step of installing integration - very long timeout without errors, but no integration on fact.

I reinstall VS & PS 3 times...

But, when I try install *vs2017*.vsix, VSIX installer show message about runned process PerfWatson2.exe. After I kill this process, VSIX install integration.

Problem in silent installation of .vsix - installation blocked by PerfWatson2.exe process.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Leonid K. wrote:

I have the same problem. On step of installing integration - very long timeout without errors, but no integration on fact.

I reinstall VS & PS 3 times...

But, when I try install *vs2017*.vsix, VSIX installer show message about runned process PerfWatson2.exe. After I kill this process, VSIX install integration.

Problem in silent installation of .vsix - installation blocked by PerfWatson2.exe process.

Thank you for the report. Glad to hear that you were able to resolve the integration issue. I will bring this up with the development as well.

0 Kudos