Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26734 Discussions

Failed to call matlab in visual fortran

yang__rui
Beginner

Hi all,

I tried to call MATLAB from visual Fortran, but failed. Could anyone tell me what to do to fix it?

Thanks!

The environment is: 64bit win10; 64bit MATLAB2018a; Intel parallel studio XE 2017fortran + Microsoft visual studio 2017; Debug x64.

The output information in visual studio is:

1>------ Build started: Project: Console2, Configuration: Debug x64 ------

1>Linking...

1>libifcoremdd.lib(for_main.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol MAIN__ referenced in function main

1>x64\Debug\Console2.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

1>

1>Build log written to "file://C:\Users\Rui\FORTRAN\Console2\Console2\x64\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

1>Console2 - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

The code in Fortran is actually an example (passstr.f) supplied by MATLAB

#include "fintrf.h"
C=====================================================================
#if 0
C     
C     passstr.F
C     .F file needs to be preprocessed to generate .for equivalent
C     
#endif
C     
C     passstr.F is an example for illustrating passing a character 
C     matrix from FORTRAN to MATLAB.
C 
C     It passes a string array/character matrix into MATLAB as output
C     arguments rather than placing it directly into the workspace. 
C      
C     Copyright 1984-2009 The MathWorks, Inc.
C     
C=====================================================================
C     Gateway routine
      subroutine mexFunction(nlhs, plhs, nrhs, prhs)
C     Declarations
      implicit none
C     mexFunction arguments:
      mwPointer plhs(*), prhs(*)
      integer nlhs, nrhs
C     Function declarations:
      mwPointer mxCreateString
      integer mexCallMATLAB
C     Pointers to input/output mxArrays:
      mwPointer input(1)
        integer status
        mwSize i, m, n
        character*75 thestring
        character*15 string(5)
C-----------------------------------------------------------------------
C     Create the string to be passed into MATLAB.
      string(1) = 'MATLAB         '
      string(2) = 'The Scientific '
      string(3) = 'Computing      '
      string(4) = 'Environment    '
      string(5) = '   by TMW, Inc.'
C     Concatenate the set of 5 strings into a long string.
      thestring = string(1)
      do 10 i=2,5
         thestring = thestring(:((i-1)*15)) // string(i)
 10   continue
C     Create the string matrix to be passed into MATLAB. 
      input(1) = mxCreateString(thestring)
C     Set the matrix size to be M=15 and N=5.
      m = 15
      call mxSetM(input(1), m)
      n = 5
      call mxSetN(input(1), n)
C     Transpose the resulting matrix in MATLAB because 
C     Fortran stores arrays as column major.
      status = mexCallMATLAB(1, plhs, 1, input, 'transpose')
C     Cleanup the un-freed memory after calling mexCallMATLAB.
      call mxDestroyArray(input(1))
        return
        end
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Start over with a new project, and this time select "Static library" instead of "Console Application". When you selected Console Application, you told it you wanted to create a standalone Fortran executable program, but all you have is a subroutine. You want a library instead to be linked with Matlab.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Steve_Lionel

Start over with a new project, and this time select "Static library" instead of "Console Application". When you selected Console Application, you told it you wanted to create a standalone Fortran executable program, but all you have is a subroutine. You want a library instead to be linked with Matlab.

View solution in original post

Steve_Lionel

Also - see the Matlab documentation for how to integrate a Fortran procedure into your Matlab environment. You can't just "call Matlab" independently.

mecej4
Black Belt

Rui Yang, it helps to understand the role of the Mex-file before building it. Your statement, "I tried to call MATLAB from Visual Fortran", is incorrect. The purpose of this example is to create a Mex file (a DLL specific to Matlab) from Fortran source whose function is to send some strings to Matlab; but this is done when Matlab calls the Mex function, not the other way around.

Since the example is part of the standard Matlab distribution, it is well-documented, e.g., see http://www.ece.northwestern.edu/local-apps/matlabhelp/techdoc/matlab_external/ch04cre7.html .

This is how I built the Mex file on Windows for Matlab 2013b (x64). I opened an IFort 64-bit command window, and added the Matlab directory ...\extern\include to INCLUDE and ...\extern\lib\win64\microsoft to LIB.  Next, I built the DLL with the command

ifort /dll /fpp passstr.F libmx.lib libmex.lib /link /export:MEXFUNCTION /out:passstr.mexw64

Then, I opened Matlab, changed to the directory containing the just-produced Mex file, and typed "passstr", and saw the results in Matlab.

yang__rui
Beginner

Thank you so much!

mecej4 wrote:

Rui Yang, it helps to understand the role of the Mex-file before building it. Your statement, "I tried to call MATLAB from Visual Fortran", is incorrect. The purpose of this example is to create a Mex file (a DLL specific to Matlab) from Fortran source whose function is to send some strings to Matlab; but this is done when Matlab calls the Mex function, not the other way around.

Since the example is part of the standard Matlab distribution, it is well-documented, e.g., see http://www.ece.northwestern.edu/local-apps/matlabhelp/techdoc/matlab_ext... .

This is how I built the Mex file on Windows for Matlab 2013b (x64). I opened an IFort 64-bit command window, and added the Matlab directory ...\extern\include to INCLUDE and ...\extern\lib\win64\microsoft to LIB.  Next, I built the DLL with the command

ifort /dll /fpp passstr.F libmx.lib libmex.lib /link /export:MEXFUNCTION /out:passstr.mexw64

Then, I opened Matlab, changed to the directory containing the just-produced Mex file, and typed "passstr", and saw the results in Matlab.