Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

File setup for Visual Fortran 16.0 Update 1 VUMAT - ABAQUS 2018

nguyen__thanh_tung

Hello everybody,

Now, I need to use the subroutine VUMAT for ABAQUS 2018. For using VUMAT, the support SIMULIA recommended me to use VS 2015 update 3 and Visual Fortran 16.0 update 1

I'm searching for all day but I cannot find the install file of Visual Fortran 16.0 update 1. It's too old so Intel hasn't supported the install file anymore.

Does anyone have the install file of Visual Fortran 16.0 update 1

Thanks a lot for any help.

Wish you all have a nice day.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Greg_T_
Valued Contributor I

Hi Thanh Tung,

I recommend using the latest version of the Intel Fortran compiler that you have installed with Abaqus.  I am able to run Abaqus with user subroutines using Fortan XE 2018 and 2019.  My approach is to open the Intel Compiler command window, for example: Start -> Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 -> Compiler for Intel 64, and enter the abaqus command line there.  I use the usual abaqus command line job syntax with the "user=" option to give the name of the user subroutine source file.

Here are other forum articles related to running abaqus with Intel Fortran that may be helpful:

https://software.intel.com/comment/1939209

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler/topic/805739

Regards,

Greg T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

See if the content of this post helps: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/older-version-product .

0 Kudos
nguyen__thanh_tung

Thank a lot mecej4,

I had found that post before but the oldest version that Intel still supports is Parallel Studio XE 2017 update 5. I think Visual Fortran 16.0 update 1 is in Parallel XE 2016 update 1. Is this right?

0 Kudos
Greg_T_
Valued Contributor I

Hi Thanh Tung,

I recommend using the latest version of the Intel Fortran compiler that you have installed with Abaqus.  I am able to run Abaqus with user subroutines using Fortan XE 2018 and 2019.  My approach is to open the Intel Compiler command window, for example: Start -> Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 -> Compiler for Intel 64, and enter the abaqus command line there.  I use the usual abaqus command line job syntax with the "user=" option to give the name of the user subroutine source file.

Here are other forum articles related to running abaqus with Intel Fortran that may be helpful:

https://software.intel.com/comment/1939209

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler/topic/805739

Regards,

Greg T.

0 Kudos
nguyen__thanh_tung

Hi Greg T,

Thanks for your answer. So in your case, which version of Visual Basic do you use with Fortran XE 2018 and 2019?

I will try and see if it works.

Best Regards,

Thanh Tung

0 Kudos
Greg_T_
Valued Contributor I

I have not needed to use Visual Basic with Abaqus user subroutines.  Do you have case or FEA model where you need to use Visual Basic in addition to the Intel Fortran compiler with Abaqus?

Are you perhaps asking about which version of Visual Studio (the IDE for editing Fortran projects) we use with Intel Fortran?  If so, I am still using VS 2017 and plan to install the newer version of VS soon.  

For Abaqus user subroutines I find that it is convenient to use Visual Studio to create the user subroutine code and to write a main program to run tests on the user subroutine.  It is not strictly necessary to use Visual Studio to edit and create the user subroutines for use with Abaqus, since Abaqus runs the Fortran compiler and links with the user subroutine.  I also use Notepad++ to edit user subroutines.

Regards,

Greg T.

0 Kudos
nguyen__thanh_tung

Hello Greg T.,

Yes, you're right, I was confused. What I meant was Visual Studio. Thank you. I will try Visual Studio version 2019 and Intel Parallel XE 2019 and see if it works. In fact, I have to install these programs on my company's computer. I don't have the permission and the IT support will do this so I have to ask for more details. I will tell the result but thanks for your helps anyway.

Best Regards,

Thanh Tung

0 Kudos
nguyen__thanh_tung

Hello Gred T.,

After some efforts, I was successful in compiling Fortran and Abaqus 2018. I tried the oldest supported version of Intel Parallel XE : 2017 Update 6. It worked well and I don't want to try the newer versions. Maybe the newer versions will work too. 

For somebody who wants to compile Fortran and Abaqus, I strongly recommend Visual Studio 2013 update 5 (not important which package) for Abaqus 2017 and Visual Studio 2015 (not important which package) update 3 for Abaqus 2018. For Intel Parallel XE, you can try from the oldest version which is still supported by Intel.

Have a nice weekend.

Best regards.

0 Kudos