Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

Floating license - debugging code without compilation.

Kantor__Baruch
Beginner

Hi,

I manage a large group of engineers maintaining C code that is relying on my Fortran core dll.

During debug session they need to inspect the values in the Fortran code but they seldom change and recompile it.

Can this be done while not holding the Fortran floating license token?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Compiling is the only thing that grabs a token.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

EXEs and DLLs produced by using Intel compilers do not check licenses. In other words, there are no run-time licenses. On the other hand, symbolic debugging of Fortran code requires additional integration components for Visual Studio that may not be available if a licensed copy of Intel Fortran has not been installed.

A suggestion is that the users place a breakpoint at each point in their C code where a Fortran DLL routine is about to be called. When such a breakpoint is reached, the values of the variables may be inspected. The author of the DLL would be responsible for placing code in the Fortran routine to check arguments for correctness.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

As far as I know, debugging a DLL created by Intel Fortran doesn't require a license. You do need the PDB file (or have it embedded - maybe that is the default). However, Intel Fortran DLLs by default depend on the debug version of the run-time libraries (Fortran and C++), and these are not redistributable. Also, the Fortran debug support is part of the product install and thus you need a license for that.

0 Kudos
Kantor__Baruch
Beginner

Thank you for the answer.

Just to clarify, I do intend to buy floating licenses, just wanted to be sure that the less advanced users that do not change or compile the Fortran part can still work while the tokens are taken by others.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Compiling is the only thing that grabs a token.

0 Kudos