Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Following in Steve's footsteps

Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II

Hi everyone,

Well, tomorrow is my last day and I too will be riding off into the sunset of retirement. After 45 years of being allowed to play with computers, from mainframes to micros, I am finally hanging up my keyboard and coding pad.

I know that for the last few years I haven't been able to contribute as much as I would have liked to this forum. I have been without a Fortran compiler at work for some time, but I have regularly visited the forum and tried where possible to add my 2p worth if I thought it could help.

I would like to say thank you to all of the other contributors from whom I have learned so much over the years, and from whom I have received help when I needed it. I am hesitant to name anyone in case I miss someone out. :-)

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (and I hope IanH does get a new compiler from Santa!)

Thank you all.

Les

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I trust you will enjoy your retirement, you have helped me a lot

John

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Hello Les,

Wish you the very best in your retirement.  Following some well-deserved R&R, perhaps you will return to the world of Fortran and continue the wonderful contributions.

Regards,

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I wish you a productive and enjoyable retirement. Pull that keyboard down back on your desk -- you now may have enough free time to give us the benefit of your experience. I remember an old colleague who had a wooden plaque with the following claim: "Experience, old age and treachery will invariably overcome youth and enthusiasm!"

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

mecej4 wrote:

"old age and treachery will invariably overcome youth and enthusiasm!"

Possibly this is sufficient

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

You can find various versions at http://www.anvari.org/fortune/Quotations_By_Famous_People/4975_youth-and-skill-are-no-match-for-experience-and-treachery-anon.html . The "old age" part tends to be left out in cultures in which "old" is considered pejorative.

0 Kudos
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II

Thanks one and all

Les

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Les:

I always wondered bu the picture looks like you are at a wedding. Is that so?

Just curious

John

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Thoughts on olden tage:

My oldest memory of Fortran is February 1975 and taking Applied Math at ANU and having to write an assignment in Fortran to print out letters such as G at a large scale that were made of a lot of G's. 

Those were the days - when Lennon was alive and Steve had not retired. 

Darn I will miss him.

John

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Congratulations, Les, on the big decision! I'm sure you'll enjoy what's next in your life. Thanks for all your wonderful contributions to this forum.

And John, I'm not quite retired yet. End of the year.

0 Kudos