Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

Fortran DLL run-time dependencies

Jan66
Beginner

I have written a DLL in Fortran as part of a Windows application which works fine (although this might have been sheer luck). Now, I have a request from one of our customers to call our DLL directly from VBA. This works fine on my machine with all dependencies being present of course. So I just supplied the DLL to the customer, but it complains about missing dependencies which was to be expected maybe. So, what is the most decent way to supply these dependencies?

1. Can I supply a link to the Fortran distributables and leave it to the user to install them? That seems a bit of a blunt axe method. Or can I just supply the dependencies needed, but how do I know where to find these?
  2. Can I avoid the issue with dependencies by statically linking againts the dependencies when I build my DLL and leave this to the compiler? If so, where can I find these settings?

Here's the compiler I use:

Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic for applications running on Intel(R) 64, version 2021.8.0 Package ID: w_oneAPI_2023.0.0.25922

I hope someone can help me. 

Many thanks in advance,

Jan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ron_Green

You can point them to our Runtime Libraries downloads HERE https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/oneapi-standalone-components.html 

the runtime libraries will give them our Fortran runtime library DLLs, along with an installer to get them into the right location.  Don't stress about the fact that the runtime is newer - newer is OK and is backwards compatible.  

You can also give out the same DLLs, but easier to have them drop in the runtime from that installer.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Ron_Green

You can point them to our Runtime Libraries downloads HERE https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/oneapi-standalone-components.html 

the runtime libraries will give them our Fortran runtime library DLLs, along with an installer to get them into the right location.  Don't stress about the fact that the runtime is newer - newer is OK and is backwards compatible.  

You can also give out the same DLLs, but easier to have them drop in the runtime from that installer.