Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28455 Discussions

Fortran OneAPI - The entry point for_stop_core_quiet could not be located in the dynamic link librar

NW_EM
Beginner

Hello all,

I have recently updated the Intel fortran compiler, running in MS Visual Studio 2019 Enterprise, to the One API Toolkit and Base. When I try to run my Fortran console applications (which worked perfectly with the previous Intel compiler), I get the following error pop-up at runtime:

The entry point for_stop_core_quiet could not be located in the dynamic link library

The project builds with no errors and I cannot see any obvious errors with the pathname to the project directory.

Can anyone help with solving this issue? I suspect it is associated with the project settings.

Thanks,

Nick White, UK

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

This very probably has to do with the runtime libraries. I suspect that at runtime the program picks up a wrong version of the Intel libraries. How do you run the program? From within Visual Studio or from a command prompt? Using a tool like dependency walker (see the version for Windows 10 and later ) will reveal where the libraries are coming from.

You should also check similar questions in this forum.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This issue has come up several times before in the forum. It's always due to having an old version of the Intel run-time DLLs where Windows will find them before the current ones. Sometimes third-party installs will copy these to the Windows System folder (bad!) or to their product folder which is then added to PATH (also bad!)  Another way this can happen is if you last installed a much older Intel Fortran, which installs its DLLs under Program Files (X86)\Common Files\Intel and then install the oneAPI compiler which doesn't use that location anymore. 

You will need to search your system for ifcorert.dll and remove all but those under the Intel oneAPI redist folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\windows\redist typically) and/or remove from PATH any entries that point to obsolete DLL versions.

0 Kudos
NW_EM
Beginner

Hi Steve,

We found the dll file, libifcorert.dll on the system. There are two folders 'ia32_win' and 'intel64_win' and both have the same file name inside the 'compiler' sub folder.  Do we need to delete both or just one and if so, please specify from which folder the file should be deleted?

Please note that the actual file name that we found is 'libifcorert.dll'. Please advise if this is the same file that you were referring to?

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

The names of those two subdirectories suggest that you are looking in the compiler installation tree.  What are the full paths to those two DLLs?  You don't want to be deleting DLLs out of the compiler installation tree. 

You can use the "where" command in a command prompt to search for multiple copies of a DLL that may be on PATH.  On one of my machines, from an ordinary command prompt...

>where /t libifcorert.dll
   1820264   2021-11-09    9:09:28 AM  C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler\libifcorert.dll
   1344104   2021-11-09   11:16:52 AM  C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\windows\redist\ia32_win\compiler\libifcorert.dll
   1853344   2021-06-09    8:22:18 AM  C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\intel64\libifcorert.dll
   1359264   2021-06-09   10:47:02 AM  C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\ia32\libifcorert.dll

The first two entries are a direct consequence of the OneAPI installation, last two entries are from a separate installation of the runtimes - which is out of date, and given that OneAPI sticks its runtime directory on path (unlike previous compiler versions), I could uninstall those.

Execute that where command from a command prompt on your machine, and show us the output.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes, I did mean libifcorert.dll.

Recent versions of the oneAPI HPC Toolkit (and the "standalone" Fortran compiler installer) add the folders in the compiler install tree containing these DLLs to PATH. That means that on systems where the compiler is installed, you don't want the separate redistributable installed and should remove it.  You should also look for other, probably older versions of this DLL elsewhere on your system and remove them (being careful to NOT remove any under a oneAPI folder).

0 Kudos