Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

Fortran compiler for starcd on a cluster

intelgeli
Beginner
Hello
I am installing starcd v410.008 on our cluster and will be using the acedemic intel fortran compiler with it. I have a couple of questions.
1. Is the 2 user network academic licence suitable for this?
2. Is flexlm used to control use of the compiler?
3. Is the licence for the compiler perpetual, as in no ongoing fees to use it?

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I am not familiar enough with starcd to comment on whether or not a 2-user floating license will be sufficient. FLEXlm is used to control use of the compiler, and with that license, no more than two compiles can be done at the same time.

Note that there is no separate run-time license - you can run your application on an unlimited number of systems.

There are no ongoing fees to use a given version of the compiler - the license is perpetual. However, the support term is limited (12 months typically) and if you want product updates and access to Intel Premier Support after the support term, you will have to pay for a renewal. (I think, for Academic, that there is no specific renewal price and that you just buy a new license, since the cost is already discounted.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I am not familiar enough with starcd to comment on whether or not a 2-user floating license will be sufficient. FLEXlm is used to control use of the compiler, and with that license, no more than two compiles can be done at the same time.

Note that there is no separate run-time license - you can run your application on an unlimited number of systems.

There are no ongoing fees to use a given version of the compiler - the license is perpetual. However, the support term is limited (12 months typically) and if you want product updates and access to Intel Premier Support after the support term, you will have to pay for a renewal. (I think, for Academic, that there is no specific renewal price and that you just buy a new license, since the cost is already discounted.)
0 Kudos
rreis
New Contributor I
If I recall correctly you only need the compiler in the machine where you're going to run starcd and compiling your user routines.

best,
0 Kudos